The Funk Hole

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

The Funk Hole

Postby Wolesley » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:05 am

Watched this tonight as shown on BC's publicly funded Knowledge Network - tremendous performances by all the actors; nearly all the supporting players had come from the 1995 production of Pride & Prejudice! And the reference by Andrew to Foyle 'swinging down into next door's garden' after going out his bedroom window and climbing onto the tree, is always a favourite moment. :foyle4:

:samtall: A question occurred to me right at the end - did Sam deliberately sabotage the MTC dragon lady's engine, or is she just a bad mechanic?

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: The Funk Hole

Postby mohairMK » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:30 am

Oh, she did it on purpose! If you notice the look on Sam's face when she is leaning over the car engine....yeah...she did it!! Good one, Sam!
:wolseley:

She may not know how to put the gears back together in the syncromesh gearbox, but she is a better mechanic than you think!
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Sunshine » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:35 pm

mohairMK wrote:Oh, she did it on purpose! If you notice the look on Sam's face when she is leaning over the car engine....yeah...she did it!! Good one, Sam!
:wolseley:

She may not know how to put the gears back together in the syncromesh gearbox, but she is a better mechanic than you think!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Jillybean » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:53 am

Mr Fern and I watched this episode over the weekend and one thing that confused me was regarding Andrew and Sam's trip to the pictures to see Gone With the Wind...

The film starts at 6pm (according to Andrew) and there would have been a pre-film Pathe news reel too so GWtW would have started around 6:20pm - now this film is an epic! 4 hours long. And the projectionist would have called an intermission as the film would need to be changed (which happened to me during Titanic in an old picture house in London - and that was only 17 years ago). So if the intermission is say 15 mins, the film would have finished at 10:45pm at the earliest.

Yet they walk out to a sunny day? Almost mid afternoon.

I've heard of double saving time in the summer during the war so even with the non-wartime summer saving time (one hour ahead) the film would have ended at 9:45pm - even then there is no way it would be that sunny... :noidea:

If it's a case of that's the only time they could film, I'd feel a little short changed lol
There's something about you fascinates me...
Jillybean

Postby Sunshine » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:11 am

That's actually one of the knots in the storyline that's been brought up before. :foyle3:

Ah, creativity in courtship versus the truth..... :noidea:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Wolesley » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:45 pm

They should have gone to see The Wizard of Oz. It's shorter! :rofl: :witching:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Rhonllor » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:47 am

When I saw that scene, it made me think that maybe England was like Alaska and had parts of the year when the sun never goes down! Apparently my geography education was completely lacking, but I actually looked it up on the internet. Felt pretty dumb when I figured out it was just a filming thing.
Rhonllor

Postby HarperCurls » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:07 am

That episode is officially set in October and I can assure you we've never had weather like that in any October during my lifetime. I read somewhere (someone will know, I forget where) that it was filmed during a very hot spell.

I guess they wanted it light for Sam and Andrew's scene after the film - but these niggles (bright sunshine!) do spoil the overall atmosphere. They'd filmed scenes in the dark before.
"... you'll want to help Samantha butter those scones."
HarperCurls

Postby jewell » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:56 am

I've always thought it was due to wartime daylight savings time. Somewhere I read that they fiddled with the time up to four hours at times.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby HarperCurls » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:55 pm

Don't know about 4 hours at a time, jewell.
I know we had GMT + I hour in winter and GMT + 2 hours in summer. At midsummer it would still have been light late in good weather but not in October.

Update: just found a website that gives sunrise and sunset times - October 1st in London: sunrise 07.01, sunset 18.39
Can't see whether this allows for Daylight Saving though. May be useful for fanfic writers...

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/a ... =-11&day=1

Maggie
"... you'll want to help Samantha butter those scones."
HarperCurls

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks for that, Maggie. I've posted the link in the Writers' Studio sub-forum!

Lesley
Wolesley

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)