Among the Few

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

Among the Few

Postby TartanLioness » Fri May 17, 2013 10:22 pm

(As I mentioned a few days ago, I'm rewatching the whole thing, so I may suddenly bombard you lot with questions)

In AtF, bicarbonate of soda is found in Connie Dewar's room and Milner mentions that Jane is taking that. We then find out that Connie was probably taking it for morning sickness and the following occurs:

CF: "Incidentally, bicarbonate of soda -- turns out Connie Dewar may have been taking it for morning sickness. Spoken to your wife yet?"
PM: "N-n-no, sir!"
CF: "I should."

Now, Paul never ever ever stutters, but he is definitely rather shaken at this point. My questions is: what exactly is being insinuated? Considering Jane's feelings towards Milner's artificial leg, do we really think that their sex life is entirely healthy? She doesn't seem, to me at least, like she's dying to bed her 'maimed' husband and Milner doesn't strike me as the type to force his attentions on anyone. So what, then? Is Jane Milner having an affair?

Of course, we never hear about any child, so presumably she wasn't actually pregnant -- could just be an upset stomach, then?
Or she could have miscarried or had an illegal abortion. Wouldn't be too surprised if JM was having an affair.

What do you think?
TartanLioness

Re: Among the Few

Postby jewell » Fri May 17, 2013 11:47 pm

I've wondered about the lack of follow up about the Bof C, too.

At that time, Foyle had no way of knowing the Milner's weren't having a jolly fine sex life so I think he was just suggesting the obvious answer for a young wife taking Bof C.

Jewell
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Lynnedean » Sat May 18, 2013 6:43 am

The implication appears to be that Jane had a relationship outside of the marriage, possibly having started during her husband's absence overseas or as a result of her turning away from him because of the prosthetic.

Whatever Anthony Horowitz had in mind, it was not to be followed up. The possible pregnancy storyline was dropped and the character of Jane Milner written out of the series after SR2, as being too depressing. This was explained by Anthony Horowitz in an interview he did in October 2004 for the Hastings website, which at that time carried a lot of information about FW. When asked about nothing having come of the storyline, Mr Hwz replied:

"Yes that was unfortunate. It didn't work as I hoped. My fault. The woman was too unsympathetic and too much to bear. We did film more material with them but it didn't work. In the new series Milner is divorced."
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:32 pm

Lynnedean wrote:
    "Yes that was unfortunate. It didn't work as I hoped. My fault. The woman was too unsympathetic and too much to bear. We did film more material with them but it didn't work. In the new series Milner is divorced."

AH can't even keep his own tales straight!! Milner was only separated/estranged from Misery Jane after she ran off to her sister's place in Wales, and she was killed before they got around to divorcing.
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Lynnedean » Sat May 18, 2013 11:18 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:AH can't even keep his own tales straight!! Milner was only separated/estranged from Misery Jane after she ran off to her sister's place in Wales, and she was killed before they got around to divorcing.

It's not the only thing he didn't remember. At one point he mixed up the name of the uniformed police sergeant with the name of the actor who played him! The whole interview is on the original FW website (and I see that Fiona has it dated September 2004, not October, and she'll be right). Go to nothing-fancy.com/foyleswar and click on Series 3: 2004 Interview with Anthony Horowitz
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:34 am

Well, this talk about any sort of 'relations' between Jane and Paul Milner made me think about the very first FW episode, The German Woman. Just before Foyle goes to the hospital for the first time to see Milner, he is looking at a newspaper article about Milner (this scene starts at about 39:15 on the DVD).

When I first started watching the DVDs back in the summer of 2010, my DVD player was broke and so I watched them on my Macbook with earbuds (all the better to study MK's expressions and hear everything :biggrin: ). Well, I was always close enough to see the newspaper article. So, one day I got curious, and paused it at the article and read the article.

Here's the Headline:

The whole headline reads: OUR TRONDHEIM HERO RETURNS
The subheadline reads: "Sergeant Paul Milner, who left behind a promising career in the police force to join our troops fighting in Norway, returned home today, a brave casualty of war. Milner, a courageous and effective officer in both forces declared himself 'ready for action' as soon as he has recovered from his wounds."

And here is a picture of the story:

The last paragraphs reads: "Shortly, [Milner] will join his wife, baby son on three weeks' leave. The child was born just one month before his father's flight."

-My first thought when reading the article (and I still think this), is that the props people just put Milner's (Anthony Howell's) picture on an existing article about a real soldier (with similar injuries), and put the name Paul Milner in the story, never thinking that anyone would actually read the article (they were wrong!! :obsessed: ). What makes me think that it is made up is about Milner playing the tin whistle in a small group at the hospital. He doesn't strike me as very musical--but I could be wrong!! :lol: And of course the fact that Paul and Jane never had a child together.

-On the other hand: this just occurred to me after reading the OP here and a few posts after that: maybe this was part of a planned "backstory-to-bring-to-the-episodes", but it never happened?

-Wasn't Milner a corporal in the military (which, I don't think is considered an officer in the British military)? And, I guess a sergeant is still in an officer in British police forces?

Anyway, just thought I'd share (everyone races off to view the article on their computer, the better to see it... :lol:

By the way, if you have a Mac and need to take screenshots from DVDs, try this website for some suggestions (using both Mac's DVD player [not so easy], and VLC [much easier--I used VLC here. Just wish I knew how to zoom in before taking the screenshot--if there is such a way]):

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/05/16/how-to-take-screenshots-in-mac-os-xs-dvd-player-application/

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby starlight » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:17 am

In awe of your sleuthing techniques, Samfan! :obsessed: :thumbsup:

Starlight
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)