Historical tie-in to A Lesson In Murder

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

Historical tie-in to A Lesson In Murder

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Historical tie-in to A Lesson In Murder - effect on Italians in Britain after Mussolini's declaration of war in June 1940.

Archive On 4 - BBC Radio 4 history documentary
The programme is being broadcast as I type. It will finish at 9pm and a little later in the evening will be available on the BBC iPlayer.
Duration: 58 mins

From the BBC website:

Collar the Lot

Actor Tom Conti explores the story of Italian internment in Britain during the Second World War.

On June 10th 1940, Mussolini declared war on Britain and France. Overnight, as a result, the thousands of Italians living in Britain were declared enemies, considered a potential threat. Winston Churchill ordered the authorities to 'collar the lot' of so-called 'enemy aliens' and over four thousand Italians were rounded up and imprisoned. Most were shopkeepers, hairdressers, ice cream sellers and respectable citizens at the heart of their communities. Many had been in Britain all their lives. We hear from some of the very few still alive, who were taken from families, jobs and homes to makeshift camps across the UK.

Tom Conti's own father was an Italian who had made a life in Scotland. He was married to a Scottish woman and ran a successful business in ladies' hairdressing. The day after Italy declared war he was taken from his home, and interned on the Isle of Man. Tom visits the island to discover which camp his father was kept in, and what conditions were like for the many thousands of men who were kept behind barbed wire during the war.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Re: Historical tie-in to A Lesson In Murder

Postby historianheidi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks Lynne.

Here's a link to an accompanying article by Tom Conti on the BBC News website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22278664
historianheidi

Postby amiga » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:37 am

Thanks, Lynne and Historianheidi. Being of Italian decent, I found the story fascinating. I will listen to Collar The Lot tomorrow.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:20 am

Fascinating history. Thanks to both of you for the heads up!

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby bee » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Wow that was fascinating! :thumbsup: Thanks for the recommendation!
There is no one else...
bee

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)