Radio broadcast in Fifty Ships

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

Radio broadcast in Fifty Ships

Postby ayresorchids » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:06 pm

My husband and I watched Fifty Ships this morning, and I found myself wondering again about the comedy radio programme that Sgt. Rivers is listening to when the note is being stolen from Foyle's desk. Anyone know what show it was?
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Re: Radio broadcast in Fifty Ships sounede

Postby bubbe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:28 am

[b]it sounded to me like the radio show I used to listen to as a child..George burns and Gracie Allen...do not know if they broadcast that in Britain but that is what it sounded like to me. Be well and happy new year, everyone. June
Well,um,he's...he's an American
bubbe

Re: Radio broadcast in Fifty Ships

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:16 am

Sgt Rivers is listening to an episode of a radio show that was hugely popular in the war years - ITMA, short for It's That Man Again, the man in question being comedian Tommy Handley.

The introductory blurb on Wikipedia runs ...
    It's That Man Again (or, commonly, ITMA) was a BBC radio comedy programme which ran from 1939 to 1949. The title refers to a contemporary phrase concerning the ever more frequent news-stories about Hitler in the lead-up to World War II, and specifically a headline in the Daily Express written by Bert Gunn. This was humorously transferred to Tommy Handley, the popular comedian around whom the programme was developed. The scripts were written by the prolific Ted Kavanagh. ITMA is believed to have played a major role in sustaining morale on the UK's "home front" during World War II.
For the rest of the article, see ... Wikipedia: It's That Man Again

BBC Radio 4 Extra occasionally plays an episode of ITMA; the next time it does, I'll post an alert. :smile:

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby ayresorchids » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:47 pm

Somehow, Lynne, had a feeling you'd know! Thank you!

:foyle5:
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:07 pm

ITMA broadcast alert as promised ...

Every week, BBC Radio 4 Extra runs a programme under the heading of Comedy Controller that comprises a selection of episodes of various comedy shows chosen by the week's presenter. This week, the "controller" is looking at how radio comedy has changed down the years, and an episode of ITMA is second on the bill. You'll find it here on the BBC iPlayer, at 33:30 minutes in ... Comedy Controller

Coincidentally, the first item in the compilation is an episode of something that starred comedy duo Jewell and Warris, who were referred to in passing in FW8-3: Sunflower. Be warned that J&W are a perfect example of the way radio comedy has changed over the years - they were very popular in the 40s and 50s, but today, I find them totally unfunny and really rather embarrassing. I'd be very surprised if you didn't skip through that show!
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby menopausalgoddess » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:14 pm

Lynnedean wrote:
BBC Radio 4 Extra occasionally plays an episode of ITMA; the next time it does, I'll post an alert. :smile:

~ Lynne

Here's some YT ITMA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j0iztvm3qE
menopausalgoddess

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Yes, Ke, that's an excerpt from a film that was made. It's unusual, though; the original and regular format that Foyle & Co. would have been very familiar with during the war years was radio, which is what was heard in Fifty Ships.
Lynnedean

Postby Lynette » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:37 am

I've read about ITMA. Apparently King George VI was a huge fan. Never missed it.
Lynette

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)