The German Woman

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

The German Woman

Postby bellis » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:03 am

Last week ITV3 had a "Foyle's War week" and they showed this particular episode on one of the nights. Having watched the same thing on my DVD recently I noticed that a couple of scenes at the beginning were cut from the TV version - the scene where Thomas Kramer is teaching a young boy (played by Cassian Horowitz) the piano and the one immediately following, where Elsie Kramer is hanging out the washing. I know the Foyle's War website describes scenes cut from the US screening on PBS but do the DVDs regularly contain scenes that were not shown when the episodes were originally aired on ITV?
bellis

Re: The German Woman

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:02 am

I don't know about 'regularly' cut scenes, but certainly several people have commented on missing scenes in various episodes. I do recall that the scene in 'Fifty ships' where Dr Redmund hits his wife and sends her to 'Coventry' (will never speak to her again) was missing completely in the American showing. Sometimes I'm sure the cuts are about the time of the show (before or after the 'watershed' of 9pm for violence) but sometimes it seems to be about advert breaks. :noidea:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:31 am

The cuts made for the showing of FW repeats on independent channels (as opposed to BBC) on UK TV are due to increased time being allowed for ad breaks since the series was first aired. This also applies to repeats of episodes of other shows such as Midsomer Murders and Inspector Morse, the fans of which complain about it as we do but, of course, to no avail. The most recent increase was introduced last year ... Telegraph article re increased advertising time

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Sunshine » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:28 pm

The alternatives are increasingly DVD or non-Masterpiece viewings on PBS stations. ("Inspector Morse" runs on the 2nd PBS station in my area; they break it up into two parts! :noidea: )
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby bellis » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:10 am

I hadn't heard about the increase in time allowed for adverts. Instead of cutting scenes, it's a pity they can't just show the full version over say two and a quarter hours instead of two. I've been looking out for repeats of FW on the ITV channels because they show them with subtitles. As the original episodes were shown with subtitles I don't know why they didn't include them on the DVDs. :puzzled:
bellis

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:25 pm

The increase in time allowed for adverts doesn't affect only repeats of old shows; it also means that episodes of dramas commissioned by independent television channels after longer ad breaks have been introduced are shorter in over-all running times than they used to be. Compare the running times of FW eps over the years and see how they've decreased ... the eps of series 1 & 2 are approx 97/98 mins long; the eps of series 3, 4 & 5 are between 91/93 mins; the eps of series 6 are 91/92 mins; and the first two eps of series 7 are 91/92 mins while episode 3 The Hide runs for only 88 mins. Note that The German Woman runs for just over 98 minutes, which means that the very first ep of FW is 10 minutes longer than the last. Ten minutes! With the further increase of ad time now in operation, who knows how long the new eps are going to be! :foyle3:

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby menopausalgoddess » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Just watched this again on DVD, shame we had some shots of Milner's 'missing' left leg at the end/run into credits as he was getting to CF's car.
menopausalgoddess

Postby HarperCurls » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:41 am

bellis wrote: As the original episodes were shown with subtitles I don't know why they didn't include them on the DVDs. :puzzled:

When I came to buy the whole series (up to The Hide as it was then) I found the price a little too high. Amazon had a Dutch box set on offer at a lower price, and the fact that the originals had no subtitles made this an attractive offer. The set is subtitled in Dutch and occasionally I'll put them on as I watch. When my other half complains I can honestly say I'm learning a new language!
"Het spijt me - this is educational!"
Sadly I have no clue how to pronounce it. :noidea:
"... you'll want to help Samantha butter those scones."
HarperCurls

Postby starlight » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:33 am

I have the same set :D
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)