The White Feather

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

The White Feather

Postby Samfan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Whenever I watch this episode, something always bugs me. When CF is talking to Arthur Ellis (AE) in hospital after AE's suicide attempt (about 1:12:30 on the U.S. Edition DVD):
-CF: "Well, you didn't leave a note."
-AE: "No."

Then, when CF talks to Stanley toward the end of the episode about A.E.'s suicide/lack of note (about 1:24:46):
-CF: "When I visited him in hospital he was surprised as I was that the note hadn't been found."

To me, AE hadn't sounded that "surprised" about the lack of a note. He just said "no."

Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe they took many "takes" of that hospital scene and just used that particular take? :puzzled:

Anyway, The White Feather has always been one of my favorite episodes (especially the scene toward the end of the episode between CF and PM about trusting each other).

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: The White Feather

Postby Sunshine » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 am

I just rewatched the scene. You're right, Samfan. Arthur Ellis doesn't express any surprise at Foyle's remark. Perhaps someone did some rewriting, or re-something....... :foyle4:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby billyanne » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:30 am

I watched this one again recently too and looked for this scene regarding the suicide note, since I'd seen the post here about the little discrepancy...it did seem a bit incongruous....but it didn't bother me with the flow of the story.

that aside, this episode is certainly one of the most moving (well, they all are...) mainly for me and among many great scenes, due to the speeches of the fisherman-father of David, both before and after they go to retrieve the soldiers in the fishing boats. Both speeches are incredibly done, in my opinion.

Billy
billyanne

Postby Pers » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Just re-watched this one - the penultimate scene, where Foyle's making himself a cup of tea while listening to the radio, and the chap's talking about how the Dunkirk rescue mission will go down in history, always reduces me to sobs. (As do David's father's two scenes.) The Dunkirk rescue is something that any Brit with a knowledge of history will talk about with pride because it was ordinary men and boys who made that rescue possible.

I also love the final scene between Foyle and Milner. Foyle tells him off, but he does it such a way that you know he's more disappointed, than angry. And I love the way Foyle tells Milner that he needs to be able to trust Milner and Sam - and that they are able to trust him.

(I'm rewatching huge chunks of FW at present because I'm writing an essay on Foyle's liberality and open-mindedness... Because that's the kinda thing I do! :obsessed: )
Pers

Postby Sunshine » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:12 pm

I rewatched this emotional episode yesterday, and I have a new question: When David is launching the Lady Rose to head to Dunkirk, it looks like he's going alone and his father is just helping. Yet, in the touching scene when the boat has returned, it seems clear that David's father has gone, too. Does anyone else see a discrepancy?
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby jewell » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:15 pm

Darn! I'll have to watch again and check it out.

The discrepancy I always notice is when the father is asking Foyle to release David so he can help him he says, I can bring back 20 men. Then when they get back he's bitching at Foyle because he had to bring David's body back "like I said" and they had only brought back 15 soldiers.

Five less because the boat was harder to handle? That doesn't make sense. It also wasn't likely he was going to leave David's body there even if he hadn't promised Foyle he'd bring him back.

Not sure I'm making sense, it's literally (and I do mean literally) 102.1° here in our office and my brain is mush.

FWIW

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:22 am

Sunshine, we see David at the bow of the boat, and his father is no doubt in the wheelhouse as the boat is launched off the beach.

Jewell, the reason they only got 15 soldiers off the beach at Dunkirk is because they were being strafed by Nazi fighter planes and had to get away as soon as possible. It's quite likely that some men they had hoped to rescue were shot in the water as they tried to get to the boat. David was helping soldiers into the boat when he was shot dead. At that point his father, who was also injured, probably felt he had to get the boat, and the 15 men he had on board, away from the area or they'd be sunk or all killed.

It is indeed a very moving, dramatic account of the personal cost of 'answering the call' when the British Army was overwhelmed by German forces.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:02 pm

jewell wrote:Not sure I'm making sense, it's literally (and I do mean literally) 102.1° here in our office and my brain is mush.

So, Jewell, what's your excuse for all the other times you've posted? :cool:
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby jewell » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:23 pm

Lynnedean wrote:So, Jewell, what's your excuse for all the other times you've posted? :cool:

:biggrin:
I'm sure I could think of something...

But the dad barks at Foyle as if he could have brought back more soldiers if he hadn't had to bring Foyle David's body. I've always chalked it up to irrationality caused by grief - lashing out, etc. But I've always noticed it.

A "cold" front passed through last night, it's only 90° in the office this morning.

Cheers

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby mohairMK » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:23 pm

jewell wrote:But the dad barks at Foyle as if he could have brought back more soldiers if he hadn't had to bring Foyle David's body. I've always chalked it up to irrationality caused by grief - lashing out, etc. But I've always noticed it.

I noticed that as well, but Foyle takes it in his unerring style. :foyle4:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby mohairMK » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:24 pm

jewell wrote:A "cold" front passed through last night, it's only 90° in the office this morning.

:lol: :snowman:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby kitchenwonder » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:50 am

Samfan wrote:Whenever I watch this episode, something always bugs me. When CF is talking to Arthur Ellis (AE) in hospital after AE's suicide attempt (about 1:12:30 on the U.S. Edition DVD):
-CF: "Well, you didn't leave a note."
-AE: "No."

Then, when CF talks to Stanley toward the end of the episode about A.E.'s suicide/lack of note (about 1:24:46):
-CF: "When I visited him in hospital he was surprised as I was that the note hadn't been found."

To me, AE hadn't sounded that "surprised" about the lack of a note. He just said "no."
Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe they took many "takes" of that hospital scene and just used that particular take? :puzzled:

Samfan

I thought this was a detective's ploy to possibly trip up Stanley during questioning. :foyle1:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)