Series 1 Episode 3 - A Lesson In Murder

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

Series 1 Episode 3 - A Lesson In Murder

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:28 am

There was a lot of pain and sadness in this episode.

The aggravated assault on the Conscientious Objector David Beale by Sgt Ferris and co, that resulted in the mans suicide was callous and cruel and quite frankly sickening.
Foyle thankfully set things to right. :pleased: :thumbsup: It was masterful the way he gained Ferris's confidence in order to get a confession out of the brute. Loved the totally gob-smacked look on Ferris's face as he's being charged with aggravated assault and will have to suffer the shame and humiliation of being dismissed from the Police Force.

Poor little Joe. As if being separated from his parents and made an evacuee wasnt cruel enough punishment he suffers a most horrible death at the hands of the monstrous Lawrence Gascoigne.

Then there was the lovely Carlo, and Tony, who were so suddenly and violently turned upon through no fault of their own.

"Evil times indeed!".

One thing Ive wondered after watching this episode ...
Once Italy declared war, I assume that anyone of Italian heritage living in Britain would have been treated as the enemy and Im guessing they would have been rounded up en masse and interned somewhere?
So what then, would have happened to young Tony? We know that his father Carlo, was born in Naples, Italy and migrated to England, but Tony was actually born in Bermondsey and had never been out of the country. We also know that Tony had enlisted and was waiting on getting his Uniform and Sam had agreed to be his girl back home. But that was all BEFORE Italy had declared war. So my question is ...Would the British Army still have accepted Tony into their ranks? or would Tony have been rounded up and interned behind barbed wire for the duration of the War?
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
"MK...never less than a joy to watch." (Jaci Stephen)
TwiningsGirl64

Re: Series 1 Episode 3 - A Lesson In Murder

Postby starlight » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:47 pm

TwiningsGirl64 wrote:So my question is ... would Tony have been rounded up and interned behind barbed wire for the duration of the War?

No. Carlo would certainly have been interned though.

:geek: Have a look at this article by the actor Tom Conti:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22278664
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:53 pm

Good heavens, what a history! And what a plucky mother, to bribe a senior police officer! Shocking to think he accepted the bribe, too.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:00 am

starlight wrote:No. Carlo would certainly have been interned though.

:geek: Have a look at this article by the actor Tom Conti:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22278664

Good to know. Thanks SL. :pleased: and what a fascinating article re Tom Conti's parents. :thumbsup:

Internment would have been both terrifying and heartbreaking. :sad:
Still, Im sure Tony would have preferred to have had his father alive and interned on the Isle of Mann, instead of having to bury him after the vicious attack by that angry lynch mob.

Totally agree with Wolseleys point :thumbsup: :biggrin: It was extremely courageous of Toms Mother to attempt to bribe that Police Officer in order to get her husband released. But how wonderful that it paid off for her and she got her man back a few months later. :hug:

Interestingly, I noted the bribe money that Raymond Brooks paid to Lawrence Gascoigne in this episode, in order to have his son Stephen excused from the fighting, was the exact same amount that Maisie Conti paid to the Police Officer back in 1940 to have her husband freed. ie: 2000 GBP and I instantly wondered if AH had possibly come across this article during his research for the show. :whistling: :pleased: :biggrin:
But he couldn't have, because the article is dated April 2013 and A Lesson In Murder aired way back in 2002.

I was curious about Tony's fate, as we never saw or heard anything more about him after the attack on the family Restaurant and I wondered what his likely future would have been after his father died. Both Sam and Foyle were too shattered and grief stricken at the closing of the episode to go after him and check that he was ok. :sad: But Im sure they'd have checked in on him the following day, once they both composed themselves :pleased: Foyle in honour of his friend, would have kept an eye out for the boy and had he gone off to fight, Sam would have kept her promise to be his girl back home and write to him and send him socks etc...
But if he'd been interned, I figured Sam and Foyle would have been forbidden from contacting him, and he'd have been completely alone :sad:
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
TwiningsGirl64

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:52 pm

A brief aside about Tom Conti ... something he once said about Mr K ...
    From an interview published in the Birmingham Post, 1st Jan 2004, in which he speaks about being an actor:
    "I like Michael Kitchen, so watch Foyle's War - he's one of the best actors in England. He's wonderful."
(Sorry, it's nothing to do with the topic, it's just rather nice to know. :D )
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:46 am

awwwww what a lovely and sweet man to say such nice things about a fellow actor. I think Tom Conti just went to my #2 spot for most loved British actor. MK's on top, in the #1 position, Naturally :lol: :hug:
TwiningsGirl64

Postby kitchenwonder » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:57 am

Lynnedean wrote:A brief aside about Tom Conti ... something he once said about Mr K ...
    From an interview published in the Birmingham Post, 1st Jan 2004, in which he speaks about being an actor:
    "I like Michael Kitchen, so watch Foyle's War - he's one of the best actors in England. He's wonderful."
(Sorry, it's nothing to do with the topic, it's just rather nice to know. :D )

Very nice to hear kind words about The Man! :rose: :rose: :rose:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)