[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - The White Feather - various musings

The White Feather - various musings

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

The White Feather - various musings

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:09 am

Not sure who I disliked more in this episode.
Margaret Ellis? for terrorizing poor Edith Johnson into committing an act of sabotage
The Traitorous Guy Spencer for having the audacity to ask Foyle if he was by any chance Jewish and for using the vulnerable and unsuspecting Paul Milner to help him smuggle that stolen letter to Germany
or Jane Milner for being a beastly wife! :rantblue:

I wanted to throttle Jane. How could she be so cold and heartless and completely disrespectful of her marriage vows? (having agreed to take Paul, in both sickness and in health?)
To no longer value Paul at all, as a man, or as a husband?
The hurt that poor Milner must have felt (knowing his wife could no longer bare him or the sight of his prosthetic) not to mention the shame/embarrassment he had to endure when outside the Church with CF and Sam where Jane thanked CF for 'taking him in'
If only Sam had a dustbin lid handy at that moment! By the scornful look she gave Jane, I think she just may have been tempted to use it! And if not, I certainly would have.
But Sam instead, threw Milner a bit of a lifeline, stating in that clever subtle way of hers, that all was not lost, simply because Milner had lost his leg. He could still be a more than useful Policeman, and if that didnt work out, he could try a different career path. Just as Sam had done. Bless her :hug:

On a happier note, I loved the tea scene at the Crescent Hotel. :pleased: :biggrin:
Sam was pleased as punch at having been invited and I love that she was able to break through the chamber maids defenses and help Foyle get the necessary information about Edith Johnson's boyfriend.
And when she tucked into a lemon curd sandwich and then proclaimed to DCS Foyle that she's never been particularly fond of sandwiches :lol:

I also liked Foyles treatment of Edith Johnson. He sensed her innocence from the very start and was very gentle and kind with her I was glad that he was able to have the charges against her dropped and then saw to her release :pleased:

And that final heart-breaking scene between Foyle and Milner
Foyle was so conflicted and felt so deeply betrayed by Paul that I actually thought Foyle was going to show Milner the door and send him on his way.
But he instead give Milner the most valuable lesson,
A lesson in Trust and true friendship. :hug:
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
"MK...never less than a joy to watch." (Jaci Stephen)
TwiningsGirl64

Re: The White Feather - various musings

Postby HarrietVane » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:58 pm

That final scene between Foyle and Milner is one of my all-time favorites. Poor Milner's broken little "do you want my resignation" and Foyle's powerful "that's the last thing I want. I can't do this bloody godforsaken job all on my own. No, what I want, starting now, is for you to be with me a hundred percent." And THE HANDSHAKE.
HarrietVane

Postby starlight » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:24 pm

Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Sunshine » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Guy Spencer is a hated character in this episode; the look of utter contempt Foyle gives Spencer when he asks if Foyle is Jewish is matched by the Foyle look of grim satisfaction at the end of the episode as Spencer is arrested. :foyle4:

And yes, the Foyle-Milner scene at the end is also one of my favorites. Yes, Milner could be a problem, but I still missed him terribly in the final episodes.
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Lynette » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:30 am

Guy Spencer is indeed despicable in this episode, no more so than when he's being nice to Milner at the beginning, trying to lure him to his cause. And I have to say -- didn't Charles Dance play him brilliantly? Not sure any actor alive could have done it better.

The White Feather, I've decided, is my all-time favorite FW episode.
Lynette

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:47 am

"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:07 pm

TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:20 pm

TwiningsGirl64

Postby Lynette » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Last edited by Lynette on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynette

Postby Sunshine » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:29 pm

I agree with what you say about the later episodes and the portrayal of Milner, Lynette. I kind of view "All Clear" as the "official" end of the series as we know it. :foyle4:

I have been working on a fanfic, "Searching for a Sergeant," that will eventually focus on my theory of why Milner turns Foyle down. :foyle4:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby kitchenwonder » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:58 am

"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)