The German Woman? question re Foyles transfer request

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

The German Woman? question re Foyles transfer request

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:30 am

The first time I watched The German Woman, it was made clear from the beginning that Foyle was dissatisfied with his posting at Hastings as there wasnt a lot of major crime happening along the south coast for him to investigate and he felt his time and talents could be better served in a government role where he could make a far more useful contribution to the war effort.
So I was extremely surprised when Foyle turned down the opportunity for transfer when it was finally presented to him by Assistant Commissioner Summers. But after re-watching, it dawned on me that the transfer request was not done out of favour to Foyle, but more as an attempt to get rid of Foyle and get him off the Greta Beaumont case before he caused a massive scandal. Dr Grove had earlier pressured Henry Beaumont saying that something had to be done about Foyle. Watching Foyles face during that scene with AC Summers, he seemed to smell a rat, mulling things over in his mind, recognizing that he was suddenly being cleared to leave, but right at the most crucial time in the case, when it was clear he was getting too close to the truth, and especially the fact they expected him to leave for his new post almost immediately.

What does everyone else think?

Was it arranged at the insistence (of Dr Grove and Henry Beaumont) as a means to get Foyle off the case?
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
"MK...never less than a joy to watch." (Jaci Stephen)
TwiningsGirl64

Re: The German Woman? question re Foyles transfer request

Postby starlight » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:19 am

Yes. Foyle smelt a rat, but it's not clear if he knew of Summers' involvement in granting Greta "C" registration at the time he was offered the transfer. What had become clear was that he'd got a job to do, and Foyle is nothing if not tenacious. Also, Foyle is bolshy: Brigadier Wilson (Tim Piggott-Smith) in The Russian House makes that observation - which is no surprise to us by Series 7!
You always were a bit bolshy, Foyle. That's why I knew you'd make a good officer.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Re: The German Woman? question re Foyles transfer request

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:46 am

Thanks for the reply Starlight. Foyle is definitely Bolshy alright :biggrin: and he definitely realized the importance of his staying on the case and being dogged and seeing that justice was upheld, and not just to glorify himself but because he knew it was the right thing to do.
I thought Foyle absolutely suspected Summers of being involved at least to some degree, for two reasons. One being because of his knowledge that AC Summers and Henry Beaumont were old friends plus there was a huge conflict of interest with Summers being Chairman of the Committee who were ultimately responsible for granting Greta Hauptman her "C" registration. I think Foyle hoped that the AC wasnt as corrupt as the evidence was leading him to believe. The AC certainly looked shocked at what Foyle was telling him. But then you see the look of recognition and he immediately tries to appeal to Foyles conscience.
We of course learned later that Henry Beaumont paid Dr Groves to lie about Gretas medical condition and Foyle hinted that he possibly paid off AC Summers as well in order that he turn a blind eye. But HB doesnt admit as much to Foyle. He simply suggests to Foyle that their friendship went way back which suggested to me that he perhaps called upon the AC to make restitution for a previous favour. But it could be my overactive mind/imagination LOL
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
"MK...never less than a joy to watch." (Jaci Stephen)
TwiningsGirl64

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)