Milner snubs Sam

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

Milner snubs Sam

Postby Kiwifan11 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:58 pm

This scene in "White Feather" has been bugging me.

It's been declared a National Day of Prayer and we see CF,SS, PM and Milner's wife Jane leaving the church after the service. The four are standing together and PM introduces his wife to CF, but NOT to Sam, who says "I used to think I was going to become a nun, but here I am". She then looks pointedly at PM, who still doesn't acknowledge her, or introduce her to Jane. This seems rather rude. Ok it's early days, but they do work together, what reason has PM got to snub Sam, who was trying to get noticed.

Kiwifan11
Kiwifan11

Re: Milner snubs Sam

Postby HarrietVane » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:17 am

Hm, good point! I hadn't noticed that.

Given how coldly Jane shuts down Paul's every effort at general conversation in this episode, I imagine he might be a little bit wary of making more overtures, especially right after she pretty much calls him useless to his boss. ("It was very kind of you to take him on.") Pleasantries aren't very pleasant with Jane; Paul seems to want to get the conversation to business as soon as possible.
HarrietVane

Postby Kiwifan11 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:56 am

That's an interesting theory. I hadn't thought of Jane being the reason, but you may be right.
I felt sorry for Sam, she so desperately wanted to be seen as part of the team, but was totally ignored. :samkiss:
Kiwifan11

Postby HarperCurls » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:37 am

Also, and this is just a theory, we are in the 1940s, before Women's Lib, when men would be introduced to men and women were, to some extent, ignored.

Mind you, with Sam in uniform, and being with their boss, this does seem remiss of Milner.

Perhaps Jane, despite not wanting him, doesn't want anyone having him. Milner refrains from introducing such an attractive young woman for fear of being nagged about her.
"... you'll want to help Samantha butter those scones."
HarperCurls

Postby mohairMK » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:56 pm

HarperCurls wrote:Perhaps Jane, despite not wanting him, doesn't want anyone having him. Milner refrains from introducing such an attractive young woman for fear of being nagged about her.

And from what we have seen of Jane, she is good at nagging... :-?
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)