Milner's son?

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

Milner's son?

Postby jewell » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:10 pm

So, I watched The German Woman yesterday. Seems to be a great start for a series - and, oh my, what a hottie the lead is!

Kidding aside, I did something I had never done the many times I've watched it. When Foyle is reading about Milner in the paper, " Our Trondheim Hero," I paused the frame and read the article.

It starts out very well telling about former police sergeant Paul Milner and all then it segues into a description of an airplane wreck, and then, at the very end, it tells that Cpl Milner will soon take three weeks leave with his wife and baby son.

(sorry I can't post it here - if I managed the screen shot, I would fail miserably on the photobucket part)

I suppose since TGW was the pilot, Milner's back story was still in flux and the props department just cobbled something together. I'm certainly glad the the Milner's unhappy marriage was childless.

I enjoy finding these little tidbits. Take a look for yourself if you like that sort of thing - a perfect excuse to rewatch TGW again. (redundancy intentional, as many times as we've watched them...)

Jewell

ETA: missing words - where'd they go? Coulda swore I put them there...
Last edited by jewell on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Re: Milner's son?

Postby Samfan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:05 pm

I wondered about this myself. Here is where I write about it in this forum, but under another thread (my post from Tuesday, June 11, 2013--the 6th post down):

http://quietlyenigmatic.ca/qe/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=663

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby HarrietVane » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:51 pm

I noticed this as well on a rewatch! My theory is that the props department found an actual article about someone wounded at Trondheim and edited in the right name and the picture of Anthony Howell. The article also alludes to Milner singing in the hospital choir, which is not something he looks up to doing when Foyle comes to see him, so I think it's a case of the audience not being expected to have the time (or *cough* focus) to read the full text rather than the story being in flux... but who can say?
HarrietVane

Postby Sunshine » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:14 am

Don't know if this is still true, but a lot of show creators and producers have filmed scenes without the knowledge that digital media and pausing the player picks up all. :lol: (It's especially fun to see old shows and stock shots of the characters that are often from the wrong season. I watch the American show "Emergency!" and one of the characters had a mustache during the second half of the series run. But yep, when they're running for the trucks, you see him sans mustache. :D
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby ayresorchids » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:18 pm

Hazeleyes recently cited a perfect example of this, and it's even from a show featuring MK--this is the newspaper article shown during the "Runner" episode of The Professionals that supposedly gives the low-down on the death of Duffy's (MK) younger brother. If you'll recall, Doyle (Martin Shaw) had shot him during a crime investigation, and Duffy is out for revenge.

...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby starlight » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Youth dies

CHILDREN's entertainer Rolf Harris wants to star in a sexy film.

He said yesterday "My agents are horrified at the effect it would have on my image.

But I think it is time I branched out into something different"

Presumably this was meant as a joke at the time. Little did they know how things would evolve for the respected British/Australian children's entertainer in 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28163593

I joined the ranks of Rolf's former following with shattered illusions that day.

Starlight :rose:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:35 am

Another example of the props dept not taking enough care about the small print is this one from The Last Contract: Nyman studies Interpol's description of John Gales ...

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:01 am

Hmm. Mr Gales seems to have grown a few inches. Also, are those the same specs he wears two years later in [i]The Secret World of Michael Fry[i]?
starlight

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:57 pm

Brown eyes?

Say it ain't so!! :rofl:

Curious to me is why the French police file displayed is in English on a cop's computer in Sweden. :noidea:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby starlight » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:07 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:Curious to me is why the French police file displayed is in English on a cop's computer in Sweden. :noidea:

:ugeek: Interpol operates in English, French, Spanish and Arabic, so I'm guessing that, to a Swede, English would be the display-language of choice. Put another way, English is the lingua franca - which actually leads to more hilarity, since the phrase itself is Italian, meaning "Frankish language". And the Franks weren't even French. They were a Germanic tribe. :puzzled: :lol:
starlight

Postby ayresorchids » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:05 pm

Oh, a big TIPPER. At first I thought it said that he was a big tigger.

...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Sunshine » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:08 am

ayresorchids wrote:Oh, a big TIPPER. At first I thought it said that he was a big tigger.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)