French Drop

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

French Drop

Postby Englishfan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:44 am

I am watching the French Drop again. Each time I see it, I am surprised that CF does not assist Sam when the car Sam is driving hits a building.

SPOILER ALERT (I don't know how to get that warning to appear so I'm adding it.)

Is there a protocol at that time for the police force that would dictate that a member of the force would continue with business before assisting the driver who is somewhat injured out of the car?

I am just surprised that he doesn't offer her something for her forehead injury as I'm thinking CF would most likely have a handkerchief or something to hand her, and that he exits the car without assisting her.

Isn't that out of character for CF?

Curious,
Englishfan
Englishfan

Re: French Drop

Postby Samfan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:51 am

Maybe they originally filmed CF helping Sam out of the car, but had to change it because that sequence would take too long? Or, maybe he handed her a handkerchief when they got out of the car, but they cut that part out? :noidea: Just guessing!

Good catch, Englishfan. Haven't thought about that before.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:39 pm

That gets me every time I see it. Her head was hurt and for him to just leave her there to deal with the car was very un-Foyle like, especially where Sam is concerned.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Sunshine » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Is there more to the scene than what I've watched? Because he asks if she's all right, then says, "We should get out. Can you manage?" And the scene cuts to them at her Uncle Aubrey's.
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby amiga » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Yes, he does ask, but since her head was bleeding, just thought he could have stayed with her with her for a while to make sure she was OK.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Englishfan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Thank-you for your thoughts.

Sunshine wrote:Is there more to the scene than what I've watched? Because he asks if she's all right, then says, "We should get out. Can you manage?" And the scene cuts to them at her Uncle Aubrey's.

That is the scene to which I am referring.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always think that when a person has a head injury and is asked if they are okay, it's best to continue to wonder if the injured is correct in his/her self-assessment. I thought CF might think along those lines so I was surprised that the script was written differently. I wondered if it had some meaning I had missed, such as CF had spotted something and didn't have time to deal with an injured driver since it most likely was a minor injury.

Just seemed out of character for CF and I don't think I've seen him take an incident to Sam (such as when she was in a bombing....don't know now if that was before or after this episode) lightly.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Wolesley » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:28 pm

I would think there would also be the immediate concern that the car could be leaking petrol after the impact, or that the structure of the building they hit could be compromised, and so Foyle would want to ensure their safety in case of further "events" resulting from the impact.
Also, Foyle already had figured out that someone had tampered with the car, so there might be other danger to come! :foyle3:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Sunshine » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:46 am

Wolesley wrote:I would think there would also be the immediate concern that the car could be leaking petrol after the impact, or that the structure of the building they hit could be compromised, and so Foyle would want to ensure their safety in case of further "events" resulting from the impact.
Also, Foyle already had figured out that someone had tampered with the car, so there might be other danger to come! :foyle3:

Lesley

Yes, they'd want to get away from the car in a hurry, hence Foyle's "We should get out" statement to Sam. (It brings back the memory of the beginning of "Among the Few," when Foyle is about to walk over to get the driver he and Sam were pursuing when the truck blows up.....)

Sunshine

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:36 am

A few slightly blurry behind the scenes photos of the filming in 2004 at Ball Park:

http://www.ballspark.co.uk/photo%20album/

Lesley

ETA: I see at the bottom there is a credit for the photos as coming from foyleswar.com,which would be Fiona's website back in 2004, so perhaps we've seen these before, but nice to see them again, anyway!
Wolesley

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:05 am

Ooh, lovely! Thanks Lesley :thumbsup:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Sunshine » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Fine photos (I don't see any that are blurry on my computer.) Thanks Lesley! :thumbsup:

Sunshine

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:10 pm

Wolesley wrote:ETA: I see at the bottom there is a credit for the photos as coming from foyleswar.com,which would be Fiona's website back in 2004, so perhaps we've seen these before ...

Not Fiona's FW website, Lesley. If they really do mean foyleswar.com it must be the new Acorn website. Acorn has had DVD distribution rights to FW for some time, and acquired permanent ownership and control of all rights since November 2010, so they'd be the ones to give permission for these pics to be displayed on the Balls Park website.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:23 am

Sunshine wrote:
Wolesley wrote:I would think there would also be the immediate concern that the car could be leaking petrol after the impact, or that the structure of the building they hit could be compromised, and so Foyle would want to ensure their safety in case of further "events" resulting from the impact.

Lesley

Yes, they'd want to get away from the car in a hurry, hence Foyle's "We should get out" statement to Sam. (It brings back the memory of the beginning of "Among the Few," when Foyle is about to walk over to get the driver he and Sam were pursuing when the truck blows up.....)

Agree with all of this. CF's reputation for gallantry is safe: all he is guilty of is clear thinking in a crisis - prioritisation of risks.

However, to those of us whose interest lies more with character than plot, the scene does leave things rather flat. It would be fun to write the linking scene that gets them from the car to Aubrey's. :wink:

PS: enjoyed the pix, Lesley. Thank you.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby dcfoylefan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:15 pm

So I know I'm late to the party, but I'm re-watching The French Drop and I have a question for the experts. About 40 minutes in Foyle asks Sam about Milner. (So, so sweet.) Anyway, then she talks about "scrumping" for apples. (Yes, I had to look up the term...)

Can anyone else explain the next couple of lines of dialogue. Are "black and whites" cows? (It's a more modern term for a police car here in the States.)

Does Foyle's comment about "around the orchard" have a deeper meaning? I'm sure there is some humor here that I'm missing so I'm asking for a translation. Please?
Thanks,
Emma
aka britishdetectives.tumblr.com
dcfoylefan

Postby Wolesley » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:32 pm

The dialogue does seem a bit cryptic - Sam says she was stealing apples from the orchard, then says the 'black and whites' chased her for a quarter of a mile (I would assume from the context she was referring to cows), then Foyle asks, 'around the orchard?' and Sam says she was 'nowhere near the orchard.' Which could simply mean that she had run a quarter of a mile away from the orchard by the time the cows gave up chasing her. I don't think anything else is implied by 'around the orchard,' but then, I'm not English. :biggrin:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby dcfoylefan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks Lesley. I just wondered if I was missing some of Foyle's dry wit here. Or if there is a literary allusion that has gone over my head.

Clearly reading too much into it...

Thanks!
Em
dcfoylefan

Postby Jillybean » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:13 pm

I think there are two possible reasons for his asking "around the orchard?"...

Because if 'black and whites' are indeed cows, cows aren't normally seen grazing in apple orchards.

or

That he's implying she might be silly enough to run around the same orchard for a quarter of mile while having cows chase her.

or both of the above...

or none of the above...

I feel my work here is done :biggrin:
There's something about you fascinates me...
Jillybean

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:23 pm

Sorry, folks, you're not hearing it right, but it's not your fault, Michael Kitchen and Honeysuckle Weeks weren't speaking clearly at all. It's a classic case of something Michael Simkins commented about in his newspaper column just a few weeks ago - actors mumbling their lines.

The dialogue goes ...
    Sam: We're nearly there, sir. That's old Parkin's farm. I used to go scrumping there when I was visiting Uncle Aubrey. Old Parkin once chased me for a quarter of a mile."
    Foyle: What, round the orchard?
    Sam: No, I was nowhere near the orchard. He used to chase me everywhere.
When in doubt, use headphones. :D
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby dcfoylefan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Thank you!! Part of it is bad closed-captioning (in addition to unclear dialog) but you've got it!
I just knew there had to be more to it and the idea that the old farmer chased her everywhere is funny.

Thanks--mystery solved. I knew I could get the answer here!
Em
dcfoylefan

Postby Jillybean » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Awww - I quite liked the idea of cows chasing Sam round the orchard :sad:
There's something about you fascinates me...
Jillybean

Next

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)