"Dunkirk" film and "The White Feather"

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

"Dunkirk" film and "The White Feather"

Postby Sunshine » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Re: "Dunkirk" film and "The White Feather"

Postby jewell » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:05 pm

Good find, Sunshine!

This really doesn't make me want to rush out and see the film. It must be all action sequences and CGI. Not my cuppa.

I'll wait until the library gets it - if then.

But I might check out this "Foyle's War" thing he mentioned - anyone know anything about that? :biggrin:

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Sunshine » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:56 pm

jewell wrote:
But I might check out this "Foyle's War" thing he mentioned - anyone know anything about that? :biggrin:

J

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, it's good that the "Dunkirk" movie might bring some new FW fans into the fold! :foyle1:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:32 pm

Read this excellent review for a full analysis of the film:
https://shakespeareandpunk.com/2017/07/ ... ink-it-is/

I saw the film and was very impressed, but could hardly enjoy it because of the excessively loud sound track. Starlight advised me to take earplugs, which I will do if I go to see it again. Or wait until it's available through home media.
It's a very minimalist film, in terms of action and dialogue, with no blood and gore. It simply follows a few individual armed forces men (Land, Sea and Air) as they experience the evacuation. Not a warm, emotional telling of the history, but well done. The panoramic views of the beach, with the lines of hundreds of soldiers queued up, just waiting for rescue or dodging strafing from the air, are spectacular.
Comparing it to The White Feather, I prefer the FW treatment for the humanity, the emotion and human relationships depicted.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)