The Russian House

7: The Russian House (June '45), Killing Time (July '45), The Hide (August '45)

6: Plan of Attack (April '44); Broken Souls (October '44); All Clear (May '45)

5: Bleak Midwinter (Dec '42); Casualties of War (March '43)

4: Invasion (April '42); Bad Blood (Aug '42)

The Russian House

Postby Wolesley » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:39 pm

When the Brigadier says, "You always were a bit Bolshie, Foyle," I took that to mean he saw Foyle as politically on the left, or expressing concern and support for the common folk and for the enlisted men during the Great War. But perhaps he meant the last term mentioned in this definition on Wikipedia:

During the days of the Cold War in the United Kingdom, labour union leaders and other leftists were sometimes derisively described as "Bolshies". The usage is roughly equivalent to the term "Commie", "Red" or "pinko" in the United States during the same period. The term "Bolshie" later became a slang term for anyone who was rebellious, aggressive or truculent.

Did the Brigadier simply mean that Foyle was rebellious and truculent? That is certainly how he would come across to a superior officer for which Foyle had no liking or respect!

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: The Russian House

Postby historianheidi » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:25 pm

I took it to mean 'rebellious and truculent' Lesley, in the context, rather than anything overtly political.

I agree that a superior officer who didn't have Foyle's respect could take him that way. :biggrin:
historianheidi

Postby amiga » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:48 pm

I agree. Our dear Mr. Foyle certainly has a 'rebellious and truculent' side! Think that fits him more than political.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:54 pm

I'm sure Brigadier Wilson meant "bolshie" in the sense that Foyle was rebellious and difficult to manage. Earlier that day, Andrew Bennet had informed Wilson that the security services didn't like Foyle because "he's crossed swords with them on two separate occasions" and that "he's not an easy man to control." In the club that night, Wilson recalls that Foyle was "always a bit bolshie" when he realises that even though the man has been told in no uncertain terms to forget about the escaped prisoner, the signs are that he's not going to let the matter drop. He then tells Foyle that MI5 have him down as a troublemaker, and warns him not to go back to the Russian House.

Foyle's tendency to be his own man and to be unafraid to go up against authority where necessary would be attested to by a succession of Assistant Police Commissioners!

While I'm sure that's what was meant, I'm not sure if the term isn't out of its time here. Query for Heidi ... was the term "bolshie" in use in this sense as early as the 1940s?
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:44 pm

I believe it is just an attempt to characterise negatively Foyle's refusal to be managed, deflected, obstructed, bullied, patronised or charmed away from his pursuit of the truth.

Used in this slang sense, the term "bolshie" may indeed be anachronistic, but I'd still say that the intended reference is to Foyle's regular refusal to toe the line.

Interesting to note, though, that he lets Sam manage him into things, once in a while. :samkiss: :foyle4:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby historianheidi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:31 am

Lynnedean wrote:I'm sure Brigadier Wilson meant "bolshie" in the sense that Foyle was rebellious and difficult to manage. Earlier that day, Andrew Bennet had informed Wilson that the security services didn't like Foyle because "he's crossed swords with them on two separate occasions" and that "he's not an easy man to control." In the club that night, Wilson recalls that Foyle was "always a bit bolshie" when he realises that even though the man has been told in no uncertain terms to forget about the escaped prisoner, the signs are that he's not going to let the matter drop. He then tells Foyle that MI5 have him down as a troublemaker, and warns him not to go back to the Russian House.

Foyle's tendency to be his own man and to be unafraid to go up against authority where necessary would be attested to by a succession of Assistant Police Commissioners!

While I'm sure that's what was meant, I'm not sure if the term isn't out of its time. Query for Heidi ... was the term "bolshie" in use in this sense as early as the 1940s?

I'm not really an expert on this. My limited knowledge of bolshie or Bolshevik/Bolshevism comes from the few weeks of A-level History we spent on the Russian Revolution, when it was used to describe the majority of the Revolutionary Communists. Anyway, according to A Dictionary of Slang And Unconventional English, the term 'Bolshie'/'Bolshy' or Bolo was in use from 1930 and especially in the Forces since 1939 as a synonym of 'bloody-minded, pig-headed, obstructive and deliberately difficult'.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=IAjyQdFwh4UC&pg=PT390&lpg=PT390&dq=when+was+the+word+bolshie+first+used?&source=bl&ots=_1QAhLqM4H&sig=GHdvm6ysTWEr40TOi2pYJYcDDSo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vSbrUdWDOeOM7Qbx94G4Bg&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAzgK
So, assuming this is accurate presumably it isn't out of it's time in the Russian House in 1945.
historianheidi

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:56 am

Thanks, everyone, I think that clears it up for me, and makes a lot more sense in the context. :smile:
Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:53 am

Hah! I've just caught an old episode of Midsomer Murders from 2009: Secrets and Spies, and one of the last lines is Anna Massey saying to D I Tom Barnaby, "You always were a bit of a Bolshie." (Not written by Horowitz, though.)

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby nipluckett » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Last night I caught an old episode of Hyacinth Bucket, pronounced Bouquet, and she referred to the rubbish collector as a Bolshie something or other. She was concerned that they were running trucks on her street on days her rubbish wasn't being collected. She seemed to think that people would assume that their rubbish was common and not exclusive.
As always,
Nip
nipluckett

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:31 am

Photo from the filming, Sam & Foyle running out of the hotel; nice image of Sam's outfit. Love the shoes!
http://capitalpictures.photoshelter.com ... awxjVAQf1A

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:06 am

Great shot - they're both in mid-air!

Thanks Lesley :thumbsup:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Sunshine » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:29 pm

Mr. Foyle is setting both a speed and distance record for him! :foyle1: :lol: Thanks again, Lesley!
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby ayresorchids » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Wolesley wrote:Photo from the filming, Sam & Foyle running out of the hotel; nice image of Sam's outfit. Love the shoes!
http://capitalpictures.photoshelter.com ... awxjVAQf1A

Lesley

Oooh! Filmed in Bloomsbury! Was just at a Gower Street hotel there (just across from the older entrance of RADA, in fact)...
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:18 pm

Reminded me that on your previous board, Lesley, someone drew our attention to this and other candid shots taken during the filming in Bloomsbury (great one of Honeysuckle Weeks blowing a big bubble while chewing bubble gum!), plus a few publicity shots from other episodes. They're on the Capital Pictures website. As it's a complicated URL, the board won't reproduce a direct link to the page of photographs, so please go to Capital Pictures search page, put "Foyle's War" into the search box labelled "keywords" (nothing else is required), and press "search".
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:03 am

Nope, didn't hurt my eyes to look at them again! Thanks. Lynne

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby ayresorchids » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:07 am

My husband and I just watched this one, and his dislike of Edie is now even stronger. "Look what she's turning him into, with her ambition! He's rude to Sam! He's rude to Foyle! I knew from the moment she looked excited to have a boyfriend who might kill his wife to be with her that she was no good! And it doesn't matter which actress plays her!"

lol
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby mohairMK » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:47 am

starlight wrote:I believe it is just an attempt to characterise negatively Foyle's refusal to be managed, deflected, obstructed, bullied, patronised or charmed away from his pursuit of the truth.

Used in this slang sense, the term "bolshie" may indeed be anachronistic, but I'd still say that the intended reference is to Foyle's regular refusal to toe the line.

Interesting to note, though, that he lets Sam manage him into things, once in a while. :samkiss: :foyle4:

Agree totally Starlight. Foyle WILL NOT allow inferior-minded "superiors" to push, prod or threaten him into getting off track. He does not swerve from the truth, even if it steps on a few upper-crust toes. He is not easily impressed. :foyle2:
If he lets Sam get him into situations, it is because he genuinely cares about her, trusts her and wants to help. I feel Foyle would go to the ends of the earth for those he loves and cares about. :foylekiss:

mohair :mushy:

P.S. Loved the picture of our "Flying Friends" Foyle and Sam mid-air! Great shot!
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Sunshine » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:40 pm

"Flying Foyle." Now that's a rarity! :foyle5: :lol:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:22 am

Rewatching this ep. on British Columbia's Knowledge Network, and had to laugh at the scene where the Brigadier meets with his staff at the War Office: when the camera focuses on him, all the others are blowing billowing clouds of cigarette smoke across the shot. Twice. Surprised Tim Piggot-Smith didn't have a coughing fit! :lol:

Also still totally in love with F & S's conversation after the murder - 'Of course I know you didn't kill him, but...did you?'
And then Foyle's delightful riposte, 'I could drive you!'

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:30 pm

Wolesley wrote:[...] And then Foyle's delightful riposte, 'I could drive you!'

The riposte is amusing, but oh! how that whole driving business rankles. The reason given for Foyle's not driving was downright ridiculous, and painted him as being extremely pig-headed, deceitful and selfish. There have been other things in FW that have shown Foyle not to be as perfect as I'd fondly imagined him to be at first, and have disappointed me, but that took the biscuit!

Sorry to mention the driving thing again, but it really does make me cross!
Lynnedean

Return to Series 4 (2006), S.5 (2007), S.6 (2008), Series 7 (2010)