Series 4 Invasion

7: The Russian House (June '45), Killing Time (July '45), The Hide (August '45)

6: Plan of Attack (April '44); Broken Souls (October '44); All Clear (May '45)

5: Bleak Midwinter (Dec '42); Casualties of War (March '43)

4: Invasion (April '42); Bad Blood (Aug '42)

Series 4 Invasion

Postby amiga » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:15 am

Can someone tell me from what part of England the farmer's accent is from in Invasion. Can't remember his character's name. The Americans were taking over his farm to make an airfield.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Re: Series 4 Invasion

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:59 am

The actor Keith Barron portrayed the farmer David Barrett. The accent he was using wasn't the usual one we hear from him. He was born in Yorkshire in 1934.
One of his most famous roles was in the 1980's show 'Duty Free', but he's a versatile actor, and has a wide ranging career. Z cars, Randall and Hopkirk (deceased), The New Avengers, Play for Today, A Touch of Frost, etc.

I'm assuming the farm was meant to be in the Kent/Sussex region, but I don't know that accent, so I can't vouch for it's authenticity, but I assume he was aiming for 'country and local', as opposed to a 'townie'.

Anyone on the forum from Kent/Sussex way?
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby amiga » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:49 pm

I don't know why, but I really like this accent. I've heard Michael do it in some of the audio books. Has kind of a sing-song quality.

I like Keith Barron and have seen him in several things. Wonder why he would have to change his accent as no one else seemed to have it. Don't recall that his neighbors or nephew had the same accent.

Thanks,

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby historianheidi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Although I live in Sussex, I don't have a Sussex accent at all and wasn't at all sure what one would sound like (haven't lived here long enough.)

I found this recording of an old Sussex accent on YouTube (the man comes from Battle, which is near Hastings):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWKWusNNBkQ

To be fair, I think Keith Barron's attempt at it isn't too bad, if that's what he was going for. He's probably the only actor in the history of the show to do so. Presumably it's another way of showing his character's family's historical connection with the place.
historianheidi

Postby ayresorchids » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:27 pm

I always loved the speaking patterns of Mr Neame (Philip Martin Brown), the man long ago in love with Hugh Jackson's wife in "They Fought in the Fields." The way he calls Foyle and Milner "boy" when he tells them the story of how she didn't show up has always been sort of touching to me, for some reason.
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby amiga » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Keith Barron is from Yorkshire. Could that be the accent he has in Invasion? I'm almost sure I've heard him use the same accent in other shows. I have John Deed, New Tricks and L&O UK....I'll check them out tonight.

Thanks.

Amiga
amiga

Postby jewell » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:03 pm

ayresorchids wrote:I always loved the speaking patterns of Mr Neame (Philip Martin Brown), the man long ago in love with Hugh Jackson's wife in "They Fought in the Fields." The way he calls Foyle and Milner "boy" when he tells them the story of how she didn't show up has always been sort of touching to me, for some reason.

I've always liked it too.

And I've often wondered; is the accent, and in this case the speech mannerisms, the actor's choice? Or the writer's choice? Or a combo?

Perhaps it's just a stage direction, i.e. speaks with a Geordie accent? And the actor takes it from there. Any insight from anyone?

Jewell

Lynne, I used "Geordie" in my example especially for you. :foyle1:
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:15 pm

jewell wrote:Lynne, I used "Geordie" in my example especially for you. :foyle1:

:D

In many a case, a particular accent will be dictated by the script, e.g. the character Owen Springer in Reckless was from the North East of England so Robson Green was able to use his own accent for that part. (Sheer coincidence that my example is that of a Geordie!) Where a region isn't specified for a character or the setting in general, I imagine that the accent used will be decided between the actor and director.

As to what accent Keith Barron was using, it beats me. I can remember thinking when I first saw the episode that it sounded rather odd. If it was actually a good Hastings accent, I apologise to both Mr B and Hastings!

I do hope Michael Kitchen never plays the part of someone from Tyneside, because I don't think British regional accents are his thing, and I shudder to think what he'd do with mine!
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby ayresorchids » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:21 pm

I have a similar problem, Lynne, with the lovely voice of Alan Rickman. As much as I admire him, I know as a native of Alabama that his turns as a Louisiana detective and a Georgia-born Tennessee doctor are not as convincing as they could be!

The closest I've come to hearing Mr Kitchen speak with an American accent is a few lines from American characters in the audiobook Archangel. He does ok; nothing distracting, anyway.

:cool:
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby amiga » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks, everyone.

Thought Keith Barron's accent in Invasion would be easy to identify since it's so specific, to me anyway. Guess not! I googled the question and this was the only comment I could pull up "...thought the otherwise reliable Keith Barron was having a slightly iffy time with an occasionally wayward accent." That seems to be in line with what you all have been saying.

I know I heard Michael use something similar for a character in an audio book, but can't remember which one.... Might have been Closing Ranks.

Amiga
amiga

Postby dickb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:14 pm

Definitely NOT Sussex. I'm Sussex bred, and you'd never hear "Get off my laaaaaaaaaaaand" down there. I think what Mr Barron is using is what actors refer to as Mummerset, which is a mixture of all kinds of regional accents, and probably owes more to The Archers than real life !
dickb

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:40 pm

dickb wrote:I think what Mr Barron is using is what actors refer to as Mummerset, which is a mixture of all kinds of regional accents, and probably owes more to The Archers than real life !

Keith Barron uses that scatter-gun approach to a regional accent in all sorts of shows. Bit like Mr K when he has to do London; he sometimes sounds pretty peculiar. :D

Please excuse a personal aside here ... as a Geordie born and bred, Ruth in The Archers makes me scream, because the actress's accent is so very bad. There are many very talented acting Geordies; why on earth couldn't the blinkin' BBC cast a Real One in that role!
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:06 pm

Well, whatever it is, I like it....kind of sing-song. What do I know :lol:

Amiga
amiga

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:25 am

I love the different regional accents, but I'm always surprised by the assumption that a thick accent has a thick owner. One of my friends lives in Wigan and has a strong accent (he always pulls my leg about my 'London' accent (that I don't have), but he admitted he calls anything that's more than ten miles south of Wigan as 'London'). He is as smart as a whip and wealthy by dint of hard graft, but time and again he sees people attempting to put one over on him, assuming that he's thick. They fail dismally, but it's always funny to see them try.

I have friends and relatives from all over the place (here and abroad) and when we get together for family events it's a real smorgasbord of dialect, but as Eliza Doolittle found, it's not just the accent, it's the words you use as well as the sentence construction (how 'well spoken' you are). It works with both extremes too:

She was so posh she thought 'creche' was something that happened on the motorway (Creche for crash).

'Air hair low' is usually followed by 'Welcome to the RAF' ('air hair low' for 'Oh, hello' ).

Am a gowin a towen on tha shoppa-hoppa (I'm going into town on the shopper-hopper (a park and ride bus in Ipswich).

By sheer coincidence, I was listening to Suffolk radio last week and they were saying that the local Suffolk accent is the oldest regional accent and the most similar to spoken Anglo-Saxon English. The example they used was the phrase 'that'll larn 'em' (meaning 'that will teach them' as larn is a corruption of an Anglo-Saxon word 'lar' meaning 'to teach'). Another word is 'gaderian' meaning a consort, from which comes 'gader' corrupted by time to 'gether' and hence 'to gether' becoming 'together' but the same root also gives us the word 'guardian'.

Apparently the Suffolk accent is also responsible for the Australian 'upswing' at the end of a sentence that makes everything seem a question. The majority of non-convict immigrants to Australia were from the Suffolk region.

Fascinating stuff. :obsessed:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby kitchentease » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:23 pm

Apparently the Suffolk accent is also responsible for the Australian 'upswing' at the end of a sentence that makes everything seem a question. The majority of non-convict immigrants to Australia were from the Suffolk region.
I guess the rest of the Suffolk emigrants moved to Canada - the first thing I noticed when I arrived in this country was that same "upswing" at the end of a sentence. :biggrin:
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby TicketyBoo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:00 am

Speaking of "Invasion" and accents, John Kiefer told Christopher that he's from "a little town called Northbridge, Massachusetts." Yes, Northbridge does exist (it is west of Boston). But Kiefer didn't remotely sound like anyone from that part of the commonwealth or anyone in Massachusetts for that matter.
The Massachusetts accents are difficult to master, however Christian Bale in "The Fighter" was spot on. Ditto for Jeremy Renner in "The Town" and Leonardo DiCaprio in "The Departed."
I think maybe there was a method to the director's madness since Kiefer with a proper Massachusetts accent would have called the DCS "Christafah."
Just thought I would weigh in on the conversation...
Tickety Boo
TicketyBoo

Postby amiga » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:32 am

I was listening to Beyond Recall today and a lady identified as being from Cornwall has the accent I was referring to. It sounds the same, or similar, (to me) as the one used by the Keith Barron in Invasion.

Just a Yank with a bad ear for British accents. :smile:

Amiga
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:32 am

These websites may be of help, Amiga ...

A short audio recording ... BBC Radio 4: a quick tour of the British Isles in accents

Samples of accents from all British counties - scroll down to the A-Z options and find the county you want; you'll then be given a list of audio recordings of people from that area ... British Library: Accents and Dialects
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:33 pm

Lynnedean wrote:These websites may be of help, Amiga ...

A short audio recording ... BBC Radio 4: a quick tour of the British Isles in accents

Samples of accents from all British counties - scroll down to the A-Z options and find the county you want; you'll then be given a list of audio recordings of people from that area ... British Library: Accents and Dialects

Thanks, Lynne. That's a fun website. Not only are the accents different from area to area, but also within the area :eyeroll:

Amiga
amiga

Postby EagleDay » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks from me too, Lynne. Really interesting. I listened to a couple of the samples on the British Library site. Especially the accents from Suffolk and Northumberland seemed (to me) to have a very similar tone to the accent of Danish spoken in the west of Jutland. Connected by the North Sea maybe - and the vikings :smile:
Even though Denmark is very small, we too have a lot of diffent accents (we call them dialekts ).

Mange tak, Kirsten
..but above all, Losberne, he was irresponsible!
EagleDay

Next

Return to Series 4 (2006), S.5 (2007), S.6 (2008), Series 7 (2010)