Some fine moments of acting

7: The Russian House (June '45), Killing Time (July '45), The Hide (August '45)

6: Plan of Attack (April '44); Broken Souls (October '44); All Clear (May '45)

5: Bleak Midwinter (Dec '42); Casualties of War (March '43)

4: Invasion (April '42); Bad Blood (Aug '42)

Some fine moments of acting

Postby bananna » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:46 pm

I just wanted to talk about some moments from the episodes The Russian House and The Hide that just really struck me

The first is an odd little thing, that maybe only I love. But when Brigadier Timothy Wilson (Tim Pigott-Smith) comes to see Foyle I love how when CF turns at sees who he is that MK made the choice for CF to revert to some sort of pre-conseved sense of authority. You can see him straight slightly and his voice changes when he says 'Brigadier' it's somewhat posher than normal. It's a great choice that speak to the relationship and that sense of class that would definatly have been around when they were in WW1 together

My Second favourite thing from this series is when CF and James Devereaux (Andrew Scott) are talking and CF starts talking about Caroline and this is a combination of writing and acting as all CF says to convey his feelings for James' mother by saying
I knew her, your mother was beautiful... I knew her
and the look on James' face to hear someone talk about his mother that way and the realization of what CF is admitting might mean for him and the look Andrew Scott gives when CF is leaving the cell is wonderful and says so much about how he might hope that CF is his father.

I also find it heartbreaking the moment for CF when James says his mothers death was not an accident, it something he may have feared and is also upset to think that James may have witnessed it.

Simply wonderful
bananna

Re: Some fine moments of acting

Postby Sunshine » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:28 am

Oh yes, excellent scenes between MK and Andrew Scott in "The Hide."

My favorite from "The Russian House" is when the Brigadier tells Foyle there's a file on him, and Foyle does that little knee-bend and says, "Really?" :foyle1:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby bananna » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:14 am

another one I love is of Milner and it maybe a little inside joke, but when he and his young detective are talking to the lady in the horse yard and the you detetctive doesn't realise it's a male horse, Anthony Howell does this little look that seems very Foyle like.
bananna

Postby bellis » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:39 am

Sunshine wrote:Oh yes, excellent scenes between MK and Andrew Scott in "The Hide."

This is what makes "The Hide" one of my favourite episodes despite the Sam/Adam storyline which I couldn't work up much interest in.
bellis

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:10 pm

I just watched The Hide again after a long lapse, and I have to say the scenes between Foyle and James are just riveting - the emotional depth is tremendous, and so moving.

But also the scenes between Foyle and Sir Charles are remarkable in that it is clear Foyle has no sense of guilt for having loved the man's wife. Later, it is also remarkable that, at the moment of revealing that he has discovered the truth of Caroline's death to Sir Charles and his second wife, Foyle has complete control over his own personal feelings on the matter.

It is chilling when Sir Charles says his family never divorces - "it has never happened" - suggesting that he knows of other such deaths, and yet saying it as a point of pride.

May watch it again tonight! :foyle4:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Sunshine » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:41 pm

Absolutely, Lesley!

(Now I've gotta go back and watch...... :foyle5: )
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:36 am

During the beautifully acted and climactic scene between Foyle and James, when James tells why he used the name Jack, from his boyhood hero, Jack Harkaway, Foyle has a particular reaction - which makes me wonder if there weren't more moments to that scene which were filmed but then not used, left on the editing room floor, as it were.
Makes me speculate that, against Caroline's wishes, Foyle did, anonymously, send things to her for her son (especially if CF believed the child to be his), and he might have sent the Jack Harkaway stories.
Also, when the second Mrs. Devereaux mentions that James as a boy had wanted to be a policeman, no doubt Caroline had been aware of CF's career and had said good things to her son about policemen.

Such a moving exchange between the two characters.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby amiga » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:41 pm

I'd love for CF to meet up with James again. I loved their interaction and I'm probably in the minority, but I am of the opinion that he is his son. Too many coincidences, as you pointed out Lesley.

I really hope we see some of the personal side of CF in the new episodes. Espionage is a dark subject and it would be good to have some balance. Sam used to be it, but not any longer. I'm not yet sold on her new character.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:16 am

After a discussion with another fan over at FFdotnet, over whether CF is James's father, I re-watched the episode, and noticed another clue ~

In their last scene together on the beach, Caroline says to young Christopher that "we have to think of the child." I think if the child had been her husband's, she would have said, "I."

She also says, "there's no other way, you don't know him," which seems to suggest that even then she knew Charles would never give her up, even if she told him the child was not his.

The clincher, of course, is Foyle's deliberate eye-blink and very faint smile to James, after speaking of 'the child she was carrying' - a clear communication that he is his father. :foyle5:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:12 am

Wolesley wrote:After a discussion with another fan over at FFdotnet, over whether CF is James's father, I re-watched the episode, and noticed another clue ~

In their last scene together on the beach, Caroline says to young Christopher that "we have to think of the child." I think if the child had been her husband's, she would have said, "I."

She also says, "there's no other way, you don't know him," which seems to suggest that even then she knew Charles would never give her up, even if she told him the child was not his.

The clincher, of course, is Foyle's deliberate eye-blink and very faint smile to James, after speaking of 'the child she was carrying' - a clear communication that he is his father. :foyle5:

Lesley

Well, I don't see why they bothered planting the seed of possibility if we weren't meant to think precisely that. In which case, it might as well be true, insofar as anything can be deemed 'true' in fiction! The writers like to leave their options open on these things though, don't they? Just in case, further down the line, they fancy skewing things the opposite way. :eyeroll:

:noidea: So many annoying loose ends. Not enough episodes. So much fic to write to fix it all. So little time...

There is of course "The Long Shadow" by dancesabove and jewell that tells a moving version of the tale. :cloud9:

Starlight :rose:
Last edited by starlight on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:35 am

The viewer can interpret it any way he/she wishes. The ambiguity was intentional on the parts of Messrs Horowitz and Kitchen - and that's from the horse's mouth. The pair were deliberately teasing, and, unless Mr Hwz changes his mind, the truth is never going to be told.

Members of the previous message board may recall that I reported on a talk given by Anthony Horowitz during a book festival in my region in the spring of 2010. To refresh memories and for the benefit of new members ...

After his talk, Mr Hwz took questions from the audience and I managed to get one in. I asked if, when he wrote the script of The Hide, he had in his mind a clear answer to the question as to whether or not Foyle was the father of James. He said that he did but that he was not going to tell anyone what it was, and that he and Michael Kitchen deliberately told the story in the way they did so as to leave the question open. When I tried to get him to say more, he said that the James character "will not be revisited" - he was quite adamant about it, saying it in a way that clearly indicated that he wanted no further questions on that particular subject. I appeared to have irritated him by asking about it in the first place!

So, folks, father of James or not the father of James - it's whatever you want it to be.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:03 am

Lynnedean wrote: When I tried to get him to say more, he said that the James character "will not be revisited" - he was quite adamant about it, saying it in a way that clearly indicated that he wanted no further questions on that particular subject. I appeared to have irritated him by asking about it in the first place!

He's adamant about a lot of things, isn't he? e.g. "there won't be another series". :rofl:
starlight

Postby amiga » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:45 pm

Between AH being adamant about certain things and MK being equally as adamant, we're lucky we have a series at all.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:45 pm

Well said, Amiga. :rofl:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Just watched 'Killing Time' on ITV, and they previewed the next episode to be shown, 'The Hide'. It included a scene with Andrew Scott (James Devereux), but not surprisingly (given his amazing performance) I was unable to see anyone other than the dastardly Moriarty on the screen. Gave me the creeps, I can tell you. :shock:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby dcfoylefan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:10 pm

I feel confident that if Andrew Scott had been raised by Foyle instead of Devereux he would never turned into a consulting criminal. Or something like that... :puzzled:
Emma
aka britishdetectives.tumblr.com
dcfoylefan

Postby starlight » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:16 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:Just watched 'Killing Time' on ITV, and they previewed the next episode to be shown, 'The Hide'. It included a scene with Andrew Scott (James Devereux), but not surprisingly (given his amazing performance) I was unable to see anyone other than the dastardly Moriarty on the screen. Gave me the creeps, I can tell you. :shock:

If we choose to believe that James Devereaux has Foyle's genes, then it's like watching what Christopher "bolshy" Foyle would've been like if he had been brought up in the home of a Sadist. So bravo to Scott for that vibe. :thumbsup:
starlight

Postby starlight » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:17 pm

dcfoylefan wrote:I feel confident that if Andrew Scott had been raised by Foyle instead of Devereux he would never turned into a consulting criminal. Or something like that... :puzzled:
Emma

Heh! Same thought, different slant! :wave:
starlight

Return to Series 4 (2006), S.5 (2007), S.6 (2008), Series 7 (2010)