Killing Time ep questions

7: The Russian House (June '45), Killing Time (July '45), The Hide (August '45)

6: Plan of Attack (April '44); Broken Souls (October '44); All Clear (May '45)

5: Bleak Midwinter (Dec '42); Casualties of War (March '43)

4: Invasion (April '42); Bad Blood (Aug '42)

Killing Time ep questions

Postby marigold » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Recently watched this again and came away puzzled. Do we know how Mandy met Gabe? Any one know what happened to the color bar situation (I realize US troops left but not all at once)? Was there fallout from this? CF questions it and I bet others did although probably a small minority. How was Gabe planning to return for his daughter-- I don't have the impression he has much money even though we're told he is a a musician? How was Tommy planning to look after an infant since there's no indication that he has a job? Where is Milner and how did Foyle come by such a clueless sergeant? Perhaps I missed something along the way or these questions aren't answered. Any one who can shed a little light on the above would be a great help. :thankyou:
marigold

Re: Killing Time ep questions

Postby Samfan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:57 pm

I can answer partly. Milner was promoted in All Clear and is now at Brighton. He and Foyle's paths cross in The Russian House and The Hide. Other than that, we don't see Milner anymore :sad:
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby marigold » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:33 am

Samfan wrote:I can answer partly. Milner was promoted in All Clear and is now at Brighton. He and Foyle's paths cross in The Russian House and The Hide. Other than that, we don't see Milner anymore :sad:

Thanks, Samfan. I vaguely recalled him going to Brighton. Hoping someone else will fill in my other blanks. Have always liked the ep for the Sam and Adam interplay as well as the race relations issue which I know was very intense.
marigold

Postby Wolesley » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Good BBC article on the effects of the American GI invasion:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20160819
Published in 2012, 70 years later.

And this 2015 article on British welcome of Black GIs:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/worl ... t-GIs.html

We can only speculate on your questions, Marigold, but Gabe might be able to raise funds through friends and family (Tommy would too, in looking after the baby), and arrange transport through the military. He might well stay in the Army post-War for the wages and job security.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Lynette » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:00 am

I think the interpretation is supposed to be that Mandy and Gabe met and began a relationship before D-day, when he was stationed in England. Then he was sent off to invade Normandy with his unit, and she probably realized she was pregnant after he'd left.

She gave birth in the spring of 1945, was kicked out of the house by her mother. By the time of this story (July '45, I believe) Gabe's unit is already back in England, and obviously back in the same part of England as before, as he's near Mandy again. The baby appears to be three or four months old, I'd say.
Lynette

Postby kitchentease » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:39 pm

Wolseley wrote:
And this 2015 article on British welcome of Black GIs:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/worl ... t-GIs.html

For a different take on the relationship between the British and Black soldiers from British colonies, read 'Small Island' by Andrea Levy. Don't forget the UK implemented discrimination on racial lines in all its colonies.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Return to Series 4 (2006), S.5 (2007), S.6 (2008), Series 7 (2010)