A Question About Food

7: The Russian House (June '45), Killing Time (July '45), The Hide (August '45)

6: Plan of Attack (April '44); Broken Souls (October '44); All Clear (May '45)

5: Bleak Midwinter (Dec '42); Casualties of War (March '43)

4: Invasion (April '42); Bad Blood (Aug '42)

A Question About Food

Postby annebronterocks » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:15 am

Specifically, chops. In "The Russian House" (I'm pretty sure), Sam apologizes to Sir Leonard that dinner is going to be chops again. For that matter, there was a similar bit in "Home Fires." First, I'm curious as to whether the chops in question were likely to be mutton, pork, or something else. More to the point, when I hear chops, I think of a nice, juicy chunk of meat, kind of like a steak. Why would anyone subject to rationing feel the need to apologize for serving them? I don't know if my confusion has to do with being American rather than British, or whether it's a generational thing, but what's the problem with chops? Or is it just a question of sheer monotony? :noidea:
annebronterocks

Re: A Question About Food

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:20 am

I imagine it was probably just sheer monotony due to lack of choice, and perhaps the size of the chops. They'd be pork or lamb. They wouldn't be anywhere near as large as an American steak; if lamb, which I think is more likely, they'd be fairly small (Google "lamb chops" for UK images to see the difference).
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Return to Series 4 (2006), S.5 (2007), S.6 (2008), Series 7 (2010)