Milner's Promotion

7: The Russian House (June '45), Killing Time (July '45), The Hide (August '45)

6: Plan of Attack (April '44); Broken Souls (October '44); All Clear (May '45)

5: Bleak Midwinter (Dec '42); Casualties of War (March '43)

4: Invasion (April '42); Bad Blood (Aug '42)

Milner's Promotion

Postby annebronterocks » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:36 am

My current efforts to make some progress in "One Little Dance" are currently be-deviled by a lack of understanding of how the promotion process would work to take Milner from a Detective Sergeant to a Detective Inspector. Does he apply? Does Foyle nominate him? Something else entirely? Does anyone have a clue? :toetap:
annebronterocks

Re: Milner's Promotion

Postby HarperCurls » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:10 pm

This is a tricky one. A bit of research shows that before the war Milner, with his injury, would not have been eligible for the police at all. But desperate times call for desperate measures and so his employment was approved. This being the case I would anticipate that a lot of the rules and procedures also went out of the window in an effort to find suitable officers.

The Metropolitan Police College at Hendon, which ran from 1934 closed at the outbreak of war, and the first national police college for England and Wales at Ryton opened in 1948. This being the case I would imagine that promotion was purely on the recommendation of the superior officer. My feeling is that a) Milner must have expressed an interest in promotion b) Foyle would have had to write some kind of report supporting this c) there must have been a suitable opening for Milner to move into.

This may help http://www.academia.edu/7075837/British ... _and_Class

But I shouldn't worry too much. Hastings was actually under the command of the Chief Constable of the Borough Force who we never hear of in canon, Mr H giving the impression that Foyle is in charge.
"... you'll want to help Samantha butter those scones."
HarperCurls

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:26 pm

HarperCurls wrote:[...]But I shouldn't worry too much. Hastings was actually under the command of the Chief Constable of the Borough Force who we never hear of in canon, Mr H giving the impression that Foyle is in charge.

Mr H also making Foyle a DCS when there wasn't such a rank as Detective Chief Superintendent in the police force of the 1940s. :D
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby annebronterocks » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Right. Ignore and attempt to move on. :noidea:

Thanks guys!
annebronterocks

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 pm

annebronterocks wrote:Right. Ignore and attempt to move on.

Yep. Could add Mr Hwz wanting to introduce a young female character, so having a driver seconded from outside of the force, which is something that simply wouldn't have been done. Another piece of "fiction within the fiction" so to speak. The precendent has been set for you, kidda - you've got carte blanche! :D
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Return to Series 4 (2006), S.5 (2007), S.6 (2008), Series 7 (2010)