[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - Casualties of War-"TGFN" (edit: TTFN)

Casualties of War-"TGFN" (edit: TTFN)

7: The Russian House (June '45), Killing Time (July '45), The Hide (August '45)

6: Plan of Attack (April '44); Broken Souls (October '44); All Clear (May '45)

5: Bleak Midwinter (Dec '42); Casualties of War (March '43)

4: Invasion (April '42); Bad Blood (Aug '42)

Casualties of War-"TGFN" (edit: TTFN)

Postby Samfan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:31 pm

I re-watched Casualties of War this afternoon, and Sam said an acronym that puzzled me. After she spends the day with James at Foyle's house, as she's leaving, she says to James, "TGFN?" (its at about minute 48:07 or so--U.S. Acorn DVD).

What does TGFN stand for? I looked it up on Acronym Finder, but nothing sounded 1940ish (I'm guessing it did not stand for "Thank God for Netflix" :lol: )

And, I really like Casualties of War because we get to see more of Foyle's house! :biggrin:

Samfan

ETA: Ok, just re-watched that scene on my computer with Closed Captioning on. Its TTFN, not "TGFN", and it stands for "Ta Ta for Now" Oops! :oops: Answered my own question. Helps to get the acronym correct :eyeroll:
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: Casualties of War-"TGFN"

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:55 pm

It's TTFN, Samfan - stands for "ta, ta, for now". Ta, ta is a British way of saying bye, bye, so TTFN means "bye, bye; see you in a little while". :wave:

~ Lynne

ETA: You posted your correction just as I posted this! :D
Last edited by Lynnedean on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Re: Casualties of War-"TGFN" (edit: TTFN)

Postby Samfan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks Lynne! You must have been replying as I was re-watching the scene and editing my post. Glad I got that clarified!

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby ayresorchids » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:26 pm

...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Samfan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks Ayresorchids! I think I remember Tigger saying "Ta, Ta!", now that I think about it (its been quite awhile since I watched Winnie-the Pooh! :smile:

I watched a rerun of As Time Goes By Saturday night on PBS, and was reminded of the few episodes where Lionel is making his way through reading Winnie-the Pooh. :lol: (although this particular episode was not one of those--it was the reunion special).

I need to watch some of these FW episodes on my computer with Closed Captioning more often (my DVD player has that too, I'm sure, but I like watching them on the computer better--the better to see CF's expressions), it would help with some of the accents.

TTFN!

Samfan
Samfan

Return to Series 4 (2006), S.5 (2007), S.6 (2008), Series 7 (2010)