Side question about The Hide

7: The Russian House (June '45), Killing Time (July '45), The Hide (August '45)

6: Plan of Attack (April '44); Broken Souls (October '44); All Clear (May '45)

5: Bleak Midwinter (Dec '42); Casualties of War (March '43)

4: Invasion (April '42); Bad Blood (Aug '42)

Side question about The Hide

Postby HarrietVane » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Do we know the man in uniform who organizes Foyle's transport to America?
HarrietVane

Re: Side question about The Hide

Postby Samfan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:01 pm

That's Foyle's brother-in-law, Sir Charles Howard, I believe. I think he's with the Admiralty.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby starlight » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:12 pm

And keep your eyes peeled for a cameo from Anthony Horowitz in uniform, who checks his ticket at the gate.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby HarrietVane » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Samfan wrote:That's Foyle's brother-in-law, Sir Charles Howard, I believe. I think he's with the Admiralty.

Samfan

Awesome! I wondered if it might be him but I couldn't clearly remember his face.
HarrietVane

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:53 pm

Charles Howard is a Commander in the Royal Navy. He's never been referred to as 'Sir' Charles. (Foyle married well, but perhaps not *that* well.) He's Rosalind's brother and Andrew's uncle ("...the only one he's got," Foyle reminds him, when Charles bemoans the fact he hasn't been able to spend time with his nephew).
He also appeared in The French Drop.

Lesley

ETA:
Rupert Frazer appeared in an episode of The Gentle Touch in 1984! Fffffascinating! :rofl:

He will appear in three episodes of the 7-part series, An Honourable Woman, with Maggie Gyllenhaal, which is in post-production:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3021686/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby hazeleyes57 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:11 am

According to Debrett's...

A courtesy title is a title such as Lord, Lady or The Hon, which is usually borne by the sons, daughters, daughters-in-law, brothers, sisters and sisters-in-law of a peer.

So, if Sir Charles Howard was knighted for services to the King, his knighthood was only for his life and the courtesy title extended to his family, including his sister.
Rosalind would have been 'Lady, or The Honorable', as I understand it. She would have been referred to as The Honorable Mrs Foyle after marriage. I could be wrong, but I would usually refer all questions to Starlight in all matters of etiquette :D
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby starlight » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:53 am

Coo. :lol: *wipes nose on sleeve* Where to start? :puzzled:

Firstly, baronets and knights aren't peers. That's yer lords an' stuff. :ugeek:

But as Lesley says, "Sir" Charles Howard is a figleaf of the imagination. I don't think old Charles had made it as far as the decapitation ceremony. :smile:

Starlight :rose:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby hazeleyes57 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:39 pm

See? Told ya I know nuffink... :geek:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Samfan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 pm

I think I got confused on the 'sir' part, because of Sir Charles, Jack's father.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Easily done. There are so many repetitions of names in the series, not only human, but architectural, as in Hill House, the school for spies, and Hill House, the Hastings guest house briefly operated by Adam W.
I guess when there are long breaks between series, there's no one on staff who remembers these things from episode to episode. But before he finalizes a script, Horowitz could easily ask one of us! :biggrin:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Yes, and there's also Charlie the spaniel in "The Funk Hole." :biggrin:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:26 pm

:rofl:

I was going to research how many other Charleses were in all of FW, but can't be bothered at the moment. :foyle3:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:29 pm

Wolesley wrote::rofl:

I was going to research how many other Charleses were in all of FW, but can't be bothered at the moment. :foyle3:

Lesley

Maybe a lot. Perhaps it was a popular name at the time.....

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynette » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Hazeleyes wrote:

So, if Sir Charles Howard was knighted for services to the King, his knighthood was only for his life and the courtesy title extended to his family, including his sister.
Rosalind would have been 'Lady, or The Honorable', as I understand it. She would have been referred to as The Honorable Mrs Foyle after marriage. I could be wrong, but I would usually refer all questions to Starlight in all matters of etiquette

Charles Howard, Foyle's brother-in-law, is only Commander Howard. You may be remembering 'sir' because in their lunch in The French Drop Foyle asks him about Giles Messinger and he replies, "Sir Giles Messinger" and then proceeds to warn Foyle about what a jerk he is.

However: If Charles Howard had been knighted at some point in his life (and there's nothing to suggest such a thing ever happened), his sister Rosalind certainly wouldn't have gotten a "handle" out of her brother's honor.

I think, Hazeleyes, you're confusing a knighthood with a peerage. Knighthoods are for the honoree only and don't pass down in the family. The wife of a knight is called "Lady", but there are no courtesy titles for their children. A peerage passes down (usually through the male line) to the next generation, and there are courtesy titles like "Lady" or "Honourable" for children.

Today the system has changed: in place of peerages an honoree is given something called a "Life Peerage", in which he or she is addressed as a Lord or Lady but the title is not hereditary. Most of the House of Lords today is made up of Life Peers, not hereditary peers -- the difference being that these folks have earned their position and their seat in the House through their life's work in public leadership or service, rather than just inheriting the position. Many retiring prime ministers, for instance, are offered a life peerage -- Margaret Thatcher became Baroness Thatcher, for example.
Lynette

Return to Series 4 (2006), S.5 (2007), S.6 (2008), Series 7 (2010)