Milner in The Russian House

7: The Russian House (June '45), Killing Time (July '45), The Hide (August '45)

6: Plan of Attack (April '44); Broken Souls (October '44); All Clear (May '45)

5: Bleak Midwinter (Dec '42); Casualties of War (March '43)

4: Invasion (April '42); Bad Blood (Aug '42)

Milner in The Russian House

Postby HarrietVane » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:05 pm

HE WAS SUCH A JERK. I was so disappointed in him! Especially because I could easily have had sympathy for what a difficult spot he was in with his first investigation as a DI, but then he was rude and let his slimy constable sass Mr. Foyle, and (as Mr. Foyle said) HE UPSET SAM. :cry: And what's more, he flubbed the arrest! Being a jerk didn't even pay off!

Looking forward to "Killing Time" with trepidation!
HarrietVane

Re: Milner in The Russian House

Postby starlight » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Well, as Foyle says "It's a poor return for the five years we spent together. But if that's how you want to handle yourself now it's entirely up to you." I suppose the lesson Milner has to learn there is that having the rank doesn't automatically confer leadership qualities.

I rather enjoyed Det Constable Perkins though. He was good value as the "disrespectful junior officer". And he gives us all a decent laugh by being the butt of Foyle's joke at the end of The Hide (S703) :lol: so keep watching!
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby ayresorchids » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:23 pm

I love the scene in which DC Perkins (apparently not just ignorant about horses, but frightened of them) doesn't recognize the stallion. Everyone plays that wonderfully.
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby starlight » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:42 pm

ayresorchids wrote:I love the scene in which DC Perkins (apparently not just ignorant about horses, but frightened of them) doesn't recognize the stallion. Everyone plays that wonderfully.

Had forgotten that one - but it's first class (and crops up in The Hide) :rofl: :
- So, what's she called, then?
- Who?
- The horse.
- It's not a mare. It's a stallion. Can't you tell?
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:02 pm

Yes, and I thought the actress who played that young woman did a very nice job in the role. These small parts are so vital for setting the right tone in each episode, not to mention giving employment to aspiring, or fading, British talent!

But Milner - really? Such a shame to see a former protege and colleague fall short of the mark! :foyle3:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:42 pm

It always makes me sad when I see Milner being so mean to Sam in this episode. They had gotten on so well through series 1-5. And with Foyle, too. Apart from that uncomfortable moment in The White Feather, they got on just fine.

I do miss Milner in the new series. Wish AH could have somehow wrote him in, making him "make up" with Sam and Foyle so it would be "like old times." (although, there is a bit of forgiveness in The Hide).

:foyle3: Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby mohairMK » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:34 pm

HarrietVane wrote:HE WAS SUCH A JERK. I was so disappointed in him! Especially because I could easily have had sympathy for what a difficult spot he was in with his first investigation as a DI, but then he was rude and let his slimy constable sass Mr. Foyle, and (as Mr. Foyle said) HE UPSET SAM. And what's more, he flubbed the arrest! Being a jerk didn't even pay off!

You would think that after all those years of being in the presence of Foyle would have taught Milner something...but in this episode he 'flubbed' just about everything... :-x
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby mohairMK » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:35 pm

starlight wrote:I rather enjoyed Det Constable Perkins though. He was good value as the "disrespectful junior officer". And he gives us all a decent laugh by being the butt of Foyle's joke at the end of The Hide (S703)

Just love seeing Foyle's quick wit in action!! :foyle5:
mohairMK

Postby mohairMK » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:36 pm

ayresorchids wrote:I love the scene in which DC Perkins (apparently not just ignorant about horses, but frightened of them) doesn't recognize the stallion. Everyone plays that wonderfully.

Yeah, that was a great scene!! :biggrin:
mohairMK

Postby EagleDay » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:46 pm

Having just rewatched The Russian House, some of Milners behavior seems very odd to me.
And I don't see the point for AH writing it this way. After having both Sam and Foyle as guests for the christening the day before, why would Milner suddenly be so rude to them? I think it is out of character and not a natural development for a mild person like Milner.
..but above all, Losberne, he was irresponsible!
EagleDay

Postby starlight » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:10 pm

EagleDay wrote:...And I don't see the point for AH writing it this way. After having both Sam and Foyle as guests for the christening the day before, why would Milner suddenly be so rude to them? I think it is out of character and not a natural development for a mild person like Milner.

Well, it certainly got everybody's attention though, didn't it? To his credit, Paul does admit to Edie that he made a pig's ear of things, because of stress. He seems mortified, and that probably makes him worse as the case progresses. Having Foyle around after they've disagreed most likely makes him nervous enough to do stupid things.

I don't think Milner under personal stress is ever that mild, actually. He loses it once with Jane publicly in Bleak Midwinter, and once with the chap running the illegal still in Invasion. :|
starlight

Postby Janewilts » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:04 pm

I think Milner's new wife is the problem. She is very pushy and eggs him on to to disregard Foyle. Milner does seem to regret his actions. I think she was disrespectful of Foyle in Bleak Midwinter. Do you think it odd that neither Sam or Foyle appear to be godfather to the baby?Especially Sam as she seemed to have a good' sisterly' relationship with Milner up to that point. I suppose that plot line would not have worked with what followed.
Janewilts

Postby Lynette » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:46 pm

Eagle Day wrote:
And I don't see the point for AH writing it this way. After having both Sam and Foyle as guests for the christening the day before, why would Milner suddenly be so rude to them? I think it is out of character and not a natural development for a mild person like Milner.

I'm with you, Eagle Day. Milner's behavior in this episode is wildly out of character for the man we've gotten to know over the past six seasons. He was never anything less than respectful to Foyle, and kind and protective toward Sam. Why on earth would he throw all that away? It makes no sense.

I have to chalk it up to (sorry, sorry) poor writing. Let's face it, Anthony Horowitz has never been awesome on details and backstory, has he? For instance, he gives Foyle the "first love who got away" not once, but twice (Elizabeth in Fifty Ships and then repeated the plot with that woman in The Hide, qoite as though he'd forgotten he already wrote that story. And of course the snafu over Rosalind's death date is well documented around here.

I watched The Russian House and never again, I was so dissatisfied. I was nearly as unhappy with the idea of Sam, the sheltered vicar's daughter, posing nude for her artist employer as I was with Milner turning into a stranger. Again, it just seemed wildly out of character.
Lynette

Postby kitchentease » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:55 pm

Lynette wrote
I have to chalk it up to (sorry, sorry) poor writing.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Lynette. It's not only Milner's behaviour in this episode, but Foyle's reaction to it that seems totally out of character. I can understand Milner feeling insecure in his position and, as a result, behaving so poorly but for Foyle to respond so harshly? He was always kind to his staff (or ex-staff, in this case), even when they had fallen short of his expectations and he had to call them to account.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby mohairMK » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:36 am

kitchentease wrote: It's not only Milner's behaviour in this episode, but Foyle's reaction to it that seems totally out of character. I can understand Milner feeling insecure in his position and, as a result, behaving so poorly but for Foyle to respond so harshly? He was always kind to his staff (or ex-staff, in this case), even when they had fallen short of his expectations and he had to call them to account.

This has always been a disappointing episode for me as well, and as has been noted...all the main characters seem to be reacting in uncharacteristic ways. The only part I really enjoy was seeing Foyle act the gentleman, and cover Sam's painting. But even then, he gives her a seemingly judgemental look, also uncharacteristic of the tolerant Foyle. :puzzled:
mohairMK

Postby ayresorchids » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Gosh, I must say that it never occurred to me that it was a judgemental look; just a somewhat startled one. After all, he keeps perfectly calm as she tells him how she felt about it--and then even twinklingly ribs her about having had a motive. I've always loved that scene, in which they walk up and down in the garden.
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby BookwormKate » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:17 pm

I, too, never saw it as a judgemental look, more startled and concerned for her (perhaps worried she's been coerced into posing?). And his follow up line "Interesting work" allows her (imho) to feel she can tell him about what has happened, and what possessed her to sit for Sir Leonard.
This was always a strange episode to me - so many uncharacteristic moments. No one seemed quite to know what to do with themselves once the war was over...
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby kitchentease » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:10 am

BookwormKate wrote:I No one seemed quite to know what to do with themselves once the war was over...

Oh that's inspired, Kate! I take it all back, it's good writing by AH not bad, that's exactly what he was trying to show us in this episode - they had lost their moorings.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Sunshine » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:55 pm

I guess it's AH startled back into work by a network that "unpulled" the plug.

There were actually a lot of moments I liked in "The Russian House," and yes, that included the sequence with Sam and Foyle at her boss' house. But poor Anthony Howell and how his character got treated starting in that episode. I still wonder why he couldn't have stayed with the police in Hastings, especially since Foyle was planning to retire.
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby mohairMK » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:14 pm

ayresorchids wrote:I must say that it never occurred to me that it was a judgemental look; just a somewhat startled one.

Perhaps "judgemental" is a bit too strong...Very surprised, and questioning to be sure. Like, "Sam...just what were you thinking here?". I don't think Foyle would think Sam could be coerced into posing, unless she thought it was for some purpose. I think Sam has a strong enough will to decide for herself, but also has empathy for others.
mohairMK

Next

Return to Series 4 (2006), S.5 (2007), S.6 (2008), Series 7 (2010)