Watched Broken Souls last night

7: The Russian House (June '45), Killing Time (July '45), The Hide (August '45)

6: Plan of Attack (April '44); Broken Souls (October '44); All Clear (May '45)

5: Bleak Midwinter (Dec '42); Casualties of War (March '43)

4: Invasion (April '42); Bad Blood (Aug '42)

Watched Broken Souls last night

Postby HarrietVane » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Oh my goodness. Poor Dr. Novak, and poor Mr. Foyle! :samcry:

I loved their chess-based friendship and especially getting to see Foyle as the student (albeit a brilliant one... of course!) And Sam getting to do her part in questioning the elderly couple (including Emma Thompson's mommy!) and finding Tommy in the attic. Her hair was especially nice in this episode. I found myself wondering how she knows Rose; they're clearly good friends, but Rose is older and has been on her farm the entire war so they can't have met in war work.
HarrietVane

Re: Watched Broken Souls last night

Postby starlight » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:48 pm

HarrietVane wrote:... I found myself wondering how she knows Rose; they're clearly good friends, but Rose is older and has been on her farm the entire war so they can't have met in war work.

Best not to question that too closely perhaps - you might have rumbled Mr Horowitz :awkward: . Sam's character allows the plots to boldly go where the men can't, gain girly insights, explore the wartime privations women endured etc. I mean, you couldn't have DCS Foyle bemoaning the lack of lipstick, begging for a bit of beetroot, could you? :D
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Re: Watched Broken Souls last night

Postby HarrietVane » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:58 pm

starlight wrote:
HarrietVane wrote:... I found myself wondering how she knows Rose; they're clearly good friends, but Rose is older and has been on her farm the entire war so they can't have met in war work.

Best not to question that too closely perhaps - you might have rumbled Mr Horowitz :awkward: . Sam's character allows the plots to boldly go where the men can't, gain girly insights, explore the wartime privations women endured etc. I mean, you couldn't have DCS Foyle bemoaning the lack of lipstick, begging for a bit of beetroot, could you? :D

:lol: Indeed! In Watsonian terms I'll put it down to Sam's "knowledge of the South Downs" that got her the driving job in the first place; she knows people as well as roads.
HarrietVane

Return to Series 4 (2006), S.5 (2007), S.6 (2008), Series 7 (2010)