[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - IWM: Fashion on the Ration

IWM: Fashion on the Ration

IWM: Fashion on the Ration

Postby mahtra » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:36 pm

I was at the IWM this weekend and checked out their current exhibition "Fashion on the Ration".
The exhibition gives you a very good overview over the subject. It is definitely nice for someone who has only little knowledge of fashion and the time period and an interest in (female) uniforms. It also has wonderfully preserved exhibition pieces.
It is however focusing closely on the clothing and things like make-up and hair or contemporary international fashion are only mentioned very briefly. Also, if you are well read on the subject you will find little new. (Though I did learn about luminous accessories for street safety during blackout.) And while some people (I among them) might have some conceptual and museum education issues with the IWM, it shouldn't deter anyone from visiting the exhibition.
So who knows, maybe someone feels inspired to write about Sam in a Siren Suit...
Last edited by mahtra on Sun May 03, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mahtra

Re: IWM: Fashion on the Ration

Postby HarrietVane » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks for the report! I've not been to the IWM, though I would like to go someday. I enjoyed visiting the Cabinet War Rooms on my one trip to the UK back in the 90s.
HarrietVane

Postby Wolesley » Sun May 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Here's a Daily Mail article on the exhibit, with many photos and a wartime video of women queuing:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ealed.html

Foyle: "The Mail..." (Eyeroll)

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Sun May 03, 2015 6:04 pm

Always a pleasure to see those styles worn again. :applause:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby mahtra » Sun May 03, 2015 7:19 pm

Indeed The Mail, Mr. Foyle!
But I do love the styles of that era. And rather a lot the retro fashion in the pics was historically correct. (I guess for some things I am rivet-counter, too hazeleyes. :smile: )
In the exehibition I found the part towards the end about how the female empowerment in war time might go along with the fashion and wether the "New Look" could be seen as another sign for the social values of '50s rather interesting. I am glad they included it, even if it was only briefly.
And I think how the different branches of female services were jealous of each other because of their uniforms could quite nicely be integrated into a fic.
mahtra

Return to Costumes and Sets