[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - Too Much Foyle's War?

Too Much Foyle's War?

Too Much Foyle's War?

Postby Samfan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:23 pm

You know when you've been watching too much FW (or MK) when....

*You keep refreshing the pages on the new Quietly Enigmatic website, just to see the different pictures in the banner.

Love the site Lesley! :thumbsup:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: Too Much FW?

Postby Sunshine » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:25 pm

I second that motion! :lol:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Re: Too Much Foyle's War?

Postby Wolesley » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Yep, I could do that all day! I will work on adding more photos over the holidays. (Not a hardship!)
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:41 pm

You're just tickety-boo when your friend and colleague from work (and fellow WWII enthusiast) gets you a "Keep Calm and Carry On" coffee cup for Christmas.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby foylefan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Oooo...I want one, Samfan!
foylefan

Postby Sunshine » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:00 am

Someone's actually posted that sign in the museum I work in! :mrgreen:

Sunshine

Postby bubbe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:42 am

there are quite a few items with this slogan for sale on cafepress.com. They are a very reliable site.
Well,um,he's...he's an American
bubbe

Postby foylefan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:05 am

Thanks, Bubbe!
foylefan

Postby Samfan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:23 pm

I do really like the cup. It's made by Rose of England (made entirely in England), and is bone china, so I won't be carrying it around with me at work. Just right for sitting at home with a cup of tea, reading FW fan fic! :foylesuit: :samtall:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Sunshine » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:59 am

This weekend, there was a map fair at the museum where I work; quite a few of the dealers come from the UK. I was helping one of them lug his boxes around with a cart. At one point, when the cart was going through a narrow area, he said, "Steady on." Reminded me a bit of Foyle's response to Sam in "The Funk Hole." :foyle1:

Sunshine

Postby Samfan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:23 pm

-While observing a student in a classroom, you are distracted by the globe sitting on the table next to you, as it is turned toward England and France. You keep wondering where places like Hastings, Dunkirk, Bexhill, and Brighton are located.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:18 am

I haven't just 'wondered,' I've taken a virtual stroll through Hastings via Google Maps! Even found DCS Foyle's house! :biggrin: :foyle1:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby hazeleyes57 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Glad I'm not the only Google-Map traveller!!

My husband sends his spaceships and aliens all over the planet and occasionally I think, 'I wonder what Phoenix Arizona looks like, or Washington, or Sydney, Aus, or anywhere!' I've also found it invaluable as a tool for looking up the addresses found on Ancestry Census details of where my ancestors lived, or worse, finding that somewhere they used to live is now a shopping centre. It's saved me a fortune in travel costs :lol:

Although, I have to say, nothing really beats the real thing - Jon and I have been to Hastings, and I have a photo of me standing beside the steps of a certain white house in Croft Road :biggrin:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Samfan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Well, I'll have to play with Google Maps more.

Actually, after that observation, I went back to my office and downloaded a map app onto my iPad (National Geographic Maps HD). If you keep zooming in, it keeps giving you more cities. So, I was able to pinpoint the location of those cities (I knew the English towns were on the Southeast coast of England--just from FW, and I always knew that Dunkirk was sort of across from Dover).

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Julia » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Google maps is fantastic. I've been walking around in the streets of Hasting for the last hour. Foyle's house is beautiful, much bigger than I thought. I wonder how many episodes are filmed in Hastings. The scene where Joe asks Sam to marry him certainly looks like Hastings.
Julia
Julia

Postby bee » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Do you know this video? It will lead you to Foyle's house :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euR9P7c9dA4
There is no one else...
bee

Postby hazeleyes57 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:47 pm

hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Julia » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Thank you Hazeleyes. I have read about the book on the old forum and now I have ordered it from Amazon. My next plan will bee to visit Hastings.
Julia
Julia

Postby Samfan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:32 pm

(this happened a few months ago...)

*I was observing a student during an American History class, but was more interested in the video on the American home front during WWII. I was quite fascinated by a real ration card that was used during that period that the teacher passed around to the students after they watched the video.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby hazeleyes57 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53 pm

I have my late father-in-law's ration book and clothing coupon book, and my mother-in-law's ID card (she lives in Felixstowe, a coastal town and port). She was 17 and helped her parents in their bakery and cafe. They used to get the boffins from Bawdsey come into the cafe and sit there all evening (until the last ferry back) doodling on the napkins.
hazeleyes57

Next

Return to General Discussion FW and WWII