'Shooting the War' documentary

'Shooting the War' documentary

Postby Wolesley » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:25 am

I just watched the episode 'Women' of this 2009 BBC documentary series, Shooting The War. Fascinating footage from both England and Germany of the effect of the war on women's lives. So many of the topics were straight out of FW.
History was told through interviews with various women who shared their personal experiences of the war as young women working in factories, flying in the ATA, entertaining troops, etc. The episode ended with a very moving account from a woman who had dated an African-American soldier. By 1947 she and her mother were alone - her father had been killed in the war - and struggling to find food, very desperate. They went to bed one evening, hungry and at their wits' end, but then the young woman was woken by a knock at the door. It was her American soldier, come back from the USA to marry her! As the elderly woman tells the story she cries, because he was her knight in shining armour, rescuing her and her mother from terrible poverty. And the film ended with a photograph of her and her handsome husband in middle age. :mushy:
(A much more satisfying ending than Killing Time...) :foyle4:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: 'Shooting the War' documentary

Postby starlight » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:44 am

Sounds marvellous. I checked iPlayer, but it isn't available here at the moment. :(
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:21 am

An interesting thing is that the doc is mostly made from 'home movies' taken by regular people.
I don't suppose this link will allow you to watch, given that you're across the pond, Starlight:
https://www.knowledge.ca/program/shooting-war

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:50 am

Nope. Thanks for the thought. :thankyou: But it's bound to be reshown at some point.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby kitchentease » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:29 am

A very interesting documentary, Lesley, thank you for posting the link. It is encouraging to see perspectives from both sides and brought the excellent German miniseries about WWII Generation War to mind.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby marigold » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:46 pm

Sounds very interesting but no, not on this side of the pond. If it's shown here, perhaps someone will mention it. Thanks muchly. :samkiss:
marigold

Postby amiga » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:01 pm

If you have a VPN, you can view it. I use TunnelBear.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Return to General Discussion FW and WWII