Article: How people lived in their Anderson shelter

Article: How people lived in their Anderson shelter

Postby Wolesley » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Very good photos! Courtesy of either Tumblr or Starlight, I forget which. :smile:
http://mashable.com/2015/07/24/wwii-bac ... Q0sqEpEkqw

Some quotations come from this source:
http://spartacus-educational.com/2WWsimkin.htm
And here is an entire website about the life of Muriel Simkin:
http://www.photohistory-sussex.co.uk/SimkinMuriel.htm

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: Article: How people lived in their Anderson shelter

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:20 am

Fab photos and articles. Cheers W, Starlight, & Tumblr :thankyou: :thumbsup:
What a wonderful life-saving invention the Anderson Shelter was. Thank heavens for Sir John's appointment to the position and for his excellent planning and management skills during a crisis. Also huge credit to the Engineers who designed and built the AS so that it was light-weight enough to transport and simple enough for any novice to erect but also strong and sturdy enough to withstand a bomb blast and any accompanying falling debris.

And what great heart and spirit was shown by the Community, by holding competitions for the prettiest shelter. Im sure it was both a useful and welcomed distraction from the impending doom and gloom

Poor newly wedded Muriel Simkin. Having her honeymoon in Weymouth cut short with the declaration of War against Germany and having to return to Dagenham. :sad:
I also found it upsetting to think that the Management in charge of the Briggs Munitions Factory where Muriel worked, refused to stop production for any reason, and actually forbid their workers from taking immediate shelter during the threat of an air-raid, instead, making them wait at their stations until the threat was more definite, ie: the Bombers were directly overhead before giving them permission to seek shelter. While I understand that having to stop production every time an air raid siren wailed would have been both costly and frustrating, thats surely no excuse for putting the lives of all the factory workers at such an unnecessary risk.

DCS Foyle would certainly have had something to say about it, had he known that such things were going on. :foyle1:
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
"MK...never less than a joy to watch." (Jaci Stephen)
TwiningsGirl64

Re: Article: How people lived in their Anderson shelter

Postby mohairMK » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:17 pm

TwiningsGirl64 wrote:DCS Foyle would certainly have had something to say about it, had he known that such things were going on. :foyle1:

Indeed! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Return to General Discussion FW and WWII