[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - DCS Foyle - Survived relatively unscathed

DCS Foyle - Survived relatively unscathed

DCS Foyle - Survived relatively unscathed

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:31 am

I dont know how everyone else feels about this but I found it wonderfully refreshing that DCS Foyle survived 8 seasons as a Police Detective and came out at the end of the series, relatively physically unscathed. The writer/producer could have had Foyle suffer any number of work related injuries over the course of the series, and had him in need of medical assistance in almost every episode.
But instead we didnt see as much as a bandaid being issued to DCS Foyle, which I thought, made for a nice change. :thumbsup: :pleased:

Unlike other TV Detective Shows where we often see the main star in the back of an ambulance, en-route to the Hospital Emergency Department after having been shot, stabbed, beaten up, drugged, blown up with C4, injured in a plane crash etc....

Thankfully, Foyles War adopts the less is more approach which I find, far more realistic. While Foyle is not bullet proof by any means, we see him cop a punch to the abdomen early in the first episode and he's later knocked unconscious by the bomb blast in The German Woman, he quite possibly suffered whiplash after Sam crashed the car in The French Drop, was almost fried to a crisp with son Andrew while taking refuge in a fuel dump during an air raid, and narrowly dodges a bullet in the Russian House.

We all know that the Policemans life is a hazardous one so viewers dont need to be constantly reminded of that fact with endless graphic hospital scenes of the injured hero, bleeding and in pain.

Such scenes can be done with far more tact and dignity and proof of that is in the episode The Eternity Ring, when Sam and Foyle are exposed to radiation. The viewer is well aware that Foyle and Sam are in need of medical treatment and we see them being separately whisked away, but we dont see the actual medical treatment itself being performed on either Foyle or Sam. Which I was glad for, because a) it just wasnt necessary and b) MK's and HW's dignity :biggrin: :pleased:
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
"MK...never less than a joy to watch." (Jaci Stephen)
TwiningsGirl64

Re: DCS Foyle - Survived relatively unscathed

Postby starlight » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:25 pm

Seems likely, given the narrow timescales between Eternity Ring and Sunflower, that Sam's exposure came around the time she got pregnant, and I've always wondered how they would have used that, had Foyle's War made it past Elise. :-?
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby HarrietVane » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:24 pm

HarrietVane

Postby Samfan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:04 pm

Well, an excuse to watch "Eternity Ring" tonight, to think about it a bit more. :biggrin:

Samfanw
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:40 pm

"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:17 pm

TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:40 pm

TwiningsGirl64

Postby HarrietVane » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:49 pm

HarrietVane

Postby Wolesley » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:58 pm

In a similar discussion on Tumblr I was prompted to do a bit of research and learned that there were regular bus tours offered to the public to see the post-war atomic bomb tests in Nevada. :shock:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:37 pm

I'll have to watch the episode again to be sure (didn't get to it last night), but I thought the thermos flask was only used that once to remove uranium. I didn't think MI-5 had talked about any other incidents of stolen uranium. I thought it was just secrets that were being leaked.

But, I'll just have to watch again to be sure :D

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby HarrietVane » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:49 pm

Going back to the main topic - the physically unscathed Mr. Foyle - for me personally it's rather disappointing that he never got injured. Milner, Sam, Andrew, Miss Pierce, Valentine, and even Boring Adam are shown in hospital, and Edith Ashford Milner appears en route to hospital (as a patient, not professionally) - but not Mr. Foyle. The only other characters who appear in more than three episodes but are similarly unscathed are the likes of Sgt. Brooke and Adam's political colleague Glenvil Harris

Given MK's reported habit of asking/telling AH to give him fewer lines, I'm surprised AH could resist writing an episode in which Foyle had laryngitis and had to convey EVERYTHING with his eloquent eyebrows! :rofl:
HarrietVane

Postby Sunshine » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:53 pm

Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Wolesley » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:13 am

That would've been delightful, and perhaps a perfect revenge! :rofl:

HV, your idea prompted me to tweak this little scene (shameless self-promotion), which you might enjoy: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=705&p=5349#p5349

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:18 am

TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:26 am

TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:49 am

TwiningsGirl64

Postby HarrietVane » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:05 pm

HarrietVane

Postby mohairMK » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:49 pm

"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:41 pm

hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby mohairMK » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:12 pm

"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Next

Return to General Discussion FW and WWII