[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - Map dresses

Map dresses

Map dresses

Postby Samfan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:21 pm

A friend of mine put me onto this blog that talks about creating dresses from silk maps used by servicemen and women during WWII.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: Map dresses

Postby Wolesley » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:26 am

Wow, that's a very cool site! I'd heard of using parachute silk, (obvs. from Barbara Hicks!), but not silk maps. What a lovely collection of vintage garments!

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:12 am

What an unusual concept. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they could design a silk map of Hastings and ask HW to model it? "for those days when you feel as though you've come to a crossroads?" so you never take a wrong turn again :lol:
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
"MK...never less than a joy to watch." (Jaci Stephen)
TwiningsGirl64

Postby kitchentease » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:43 am

But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:56 am

Then again, could be a bit disconcerting for HW, having people coming up to her and surveying her dress for directions :oops: :biggrin:
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
TwiningsGirl64

Postby Wolesley » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:59 am

Oh, I don't know, she'd probably love it, as long as they asked and didn't touch. :rofl:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:46 am

I imagine she'd create a circled gathering within no time at all. :rofl: But with very much a case of look but dont touch :samkiss: Or touch at your very great peril :biggrin: :pleased: (dustbin lid at the ready) :thumbsup:
TwiningsGirl64

Postby dogstar » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:54 pm

Wow! I love the map clothing, and what a great website. Thanks for finding and sharing.
Dogstar

"However, I'm richer and you're happier, and I think I know what's best."
dogstar

Return to General Discussion FW and WWII