[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - Character assessment - Sgt Brooke / Brookie?

Character assessment - Sgt Brooke / Brookie?

Character assessment - Sgt Brooke / Brookie?

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:45 am

Just wondering what other fans felt about the character Sgt Brooke, (affectionately known as Brookie)

I quite liked him. He was an honest sort of chap, very personable for a front desk Sergeant, and was diligent and hard working and he clearly had nothing but admiration and respect for DCS Foyle :wave: :thumbsup:

However he seemed to annoy the heck out of Foyle on an almost daily basis. :-x :puzzled:

Apart from being a little cheeky and outspoken, and commenting that Hastings was a little too quiet for his liking, Im not quite sure the reasons behind Foyles firm tone wherever Brooke was concerned.

He seemed almost intolerant of anything the man said or did.

Was it just a matter of a Superior keeping the Junior in line? A simple personality clash?

Or did I miss something? Was there something in Brookies Police Employee File that warranted a slightly firmer hand from DCS Foyle?
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
"MK...never less than a joy to watch." (Jaci Stephen)
TwiningsGirl64

Re: Character assessment - Sgt Brooke / Brookie?

Postby starlight » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:56 am

Here are my thoughts:

Foyle has that instinctive prickle against "bumptious", "cheerful" and "eager" :foyle3: . He tends to be restrained in his own manner with people on first meeting, and probably regards the bouncy, open approach as incautious and superficial. So his reaction is to squash it. Sometimes it's justified (the over-familiar DC Perkins in The Russian House), sometimes he checks himself for having been unnecessarily harsh (the enthusiastically admiring DC Hadley in Killing Time), sometimes he meets his match (Sam, throughout :samkiss: ), and sometimes he just keeps up the pressure as a formative influence for a bloke's own good (Brooke :lol: ).
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Sunshine » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:14 am

I'm a Brookie fan, and I certainly missed him after Series 5. I liked the byplay between him and Foyle (particularly when it involved the light bulbs :lol: ). I also loved the involvement in the turkey saga in "Bleak Midwinter." :foyle1:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Wolesley » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Starlight has said it succinctly!
I would also add that Brookie is a quick study and gets to know and understand his new boss fairly soon, and likes to test the limits of Foyle's tolerance for irreverent remarks. They both seem to play the game, with Foyle outlining the discipline he will mete out for such remarks, and Brooke knowing he won't actually do it.
:foyle5:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:32 am

"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:49 am

TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:02 am

TwiningsGirl64

Postby Sunshine » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby ayresorchids » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:00 pm

I like Brooke a lot, too. Friendly and a bit mischievous, Brookie. I always wish he'd played a bigger part at least some of the time. (Fortunately, he does in fic! :wink: )
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby starlight » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:04 am

TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:21 am

TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:41 am

TwiningsGirl64

Postby jewell » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:51 am

Please! remind me. Which is the "lightbulb" episode? Must watch it again!

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Wolesley » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:00 am

Wolesley

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:01 pm

TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:26 pm

TwiningsGirl64

Postby jewell » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:33 pm

"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby ayresorchids » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:25 pm

...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:46 am

TwiningsGirl64

Next

Return to General Discussion FW and WWII