[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - For Knitters

For Knitters

For Knitters

Postby jewell » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:47 pm

This is really cool!

Knitting patterns available from WWII through the Victoria and Albert Museum.

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=1b7 ... 507908284c

Be sure and read Kennita's (the OP) note about needle size conversions or you'll have massive pieces! :biggrin:

Kennita taught me to knit, she's a cool lady and a well known knit-wear designer. Check out her website, subscribe to her newsletter, enjoy.

Oh, and she teaches classes each year in Tuscany...

Still saving my pennies for that!

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Re: For Knitters

Postby Samfan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks Jewell!! :thumbsup:

The "When you're off Duty" women's short-sleeve sweater reminds me of the sweater Sam wore in "Plan of Attack." I also love the women's knit waistcoat.

There is a Ravelry group devoted to Foyle's War (the group is not very active), and someone on there is willing to share the sweater pattern that Sam wore in Plan of Attack (well, at least its very similar). I asked for and got it. Of course, I have yet to knit it.

The National World War II museum in New Orleans has a Knit Your Bit website--with some scarves to knit or crochet. You can donate scarves to give to veterans.

:thumbsup:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:52 pm

On the Ravelry forum "Knitting for Victory", there is a person on there called "historicjoyce." Her real name is Joyce Meader, and she has written a book, Knitskrieg: A Call to Yarns! A History of Military Knitting from 1800's to Present. It looks at the knitted "comforts" that military personnel wore--across three centuries.

Its out in the UK:

It will be available in the U.S. on August 15, 2016:

Looks interesting!

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:01 pm

A post on Ravelry has a link to an article on wartime spies using knitting:

The Wartime Spies Who Used Knitting as an Espionage Tool

Interesting.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby kitchentease » Thu May 03, 2018 11:59 pm

Fascinating, Samfan, thank you for posting. Nobody would be able to read a message in my knitting - never did get the hang of accurately counting stitches!
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Samfan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:46 pm

This website was shared in my Facebook feed about a woman who used knitting to help send coded messages to the allies in the months leading up to D-Day. It also lists books about women in the resistance.

Samfan

Return to General Discussion FW and WWII