Too Much Foyle's War?

Re: Too Much Foyle's War?

Postby Samfan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Wolesley wrote:And Fifty Ships!

Lesley

Oh yes, that scene where Churchill is on the phone, begging Roosevelt for the ships! I forgot about that scene.
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Katiek » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:21 pm

Just watched Darkest Hour last night and like others immediately thought of White Feather. Need a repeat viewing!
Katiek

Postby Samfan » Tue May 15, 2018 7:21 pm

We're moving into a new house, and it has a walk in pantry. The first time I walked in and turned on the light, I thought of Andrew walking into the larder in Eagle Day.
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby BookwormKate » Sat May 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Haha, that’s great Samfam! I always think of Foyle’s War when drawing the curtains at night. Happy house moving!
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby Samfan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:53 pm

When I am on the phone and am writing something down, I think of Foyle on the phone in The German Woman, writing something down while talking to a colleague about checking into her background. I can just see him at his desk.
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:48 am

“Greta....Anna....HAUPTMANN....” Foyle says to his friend at Whitehall on the phone. Which leads to the information that she had brothers in the Luftwaffe! :foyle4:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:53 am

Wolesley wrote:“Greta....Anna....HAUPTMANN....” Foyle says to his friend at Whitehall on the phone. Which leads to the information that she had brothers in the Luftwaffe! :foyle4:

Lesley

Thanks Lesley! I knew he said something about a Hauptmann.
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:58 am

While filling out paperwork for a job today, I had to give the manager my passport and social security card. I thought of ration cards and identification papers.
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:47 am

I was watching The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society the other night on Netflix. The scenes with "Foyles Bookstore" made me smile.

Side note: the owner right now is named Christopher Foyle :) (since 1999)
Samfan

Postby amiga » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:17 pm

I saw that, too. It's the little things that get us excited!

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Samfan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Samfan wrote:I was watching The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society the other night on Netflix. The scenes with "Foyles Bookstore" made me smile.

Side note: the owner right now is named Christopher Foyle :) (since 1999)

I thought I read somewhere a person with the last name of Foyle had to be included in one of the episodes for some reason (probably because the program used the name Foyle), and I thought it was this scene in Bad Blood (perhaps he's the real Christopher Foyle):

From Lynnedean's Bad Blood summary:
"As Foyle turns his key in the door, a man walking along the pavement calls to him as he passes, "Ah, good evening, Christopher! Did you get the book?" Foyle returns the greeting and replies, "I did. Thank you." The man smiles and continues on his way."

Am I wrong?
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Yes, Samfan, that was the real Christopher Foyle of Foyle's Books. He was invited to do a cameo that should’ve taken a few minutes to film, but as he confessed in an interview, his nerves over being on camera got the better of him, and he kept saying, "Good evening Michael," over and over again. Took about a dozen takes before he managed to call MK 'Christopher.' He said MK was very gracious and never showed his annoyance. :foyle4:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Previous

Return to General Discussion FW and WWII