Too Much Foyle's War?

Re: Too Much Foyle's War?

Postby ayresorchids » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:18 pm

TwiningsGirl64 wrote:Disgusted with what was completely rude and unsatisfactory service from our local council recently, and being stone walled after requesting to speak with whoever was in charge, I was sorely tempted to quote Foyles wonderful tirade from Bad Blood.
:toetap: "If Im not in his office in the next 2 minutes, I'll be back with the Army, the Police, The Home guard and the Press. (Using Foyle hand gestures for added emphasis) Would you feel able to convey this to him at your earliest opportunity." End rant! :foylekiss:

LOL! One of my all-time favorite scenes, not least because of the polite matter-of-factness of his delivery. And I have long been in love with his signature hand gesture; that rather sudden downward open-handed thing he does for emphasis! Like his unusual vocal inflections, it is unique.
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:02 am

jewell wrote:It should work, TG. :foyle5:

If I could only manage to remain as calm as Foyle does :mrgreen:

and not raise my voice so much, :lol:
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
"MK...never less than a joy to watch." (Jaci Stephen)
TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:41 am

ayresorchids wrote:
TwiningsGirl64 wrote:Disgusted with what was completely rude and unsatisfactory service from our local council recently, and being stone walled after requesting to speak with whoever was in charge, I was sorely tempted to quote Foyles wonderful tirade from Bad Blood.
:toetap: "If Im not in his office in the next 2 minutes, I'll be back with the Army, the Police, The Home guard and the Press. (Using Foyle hand gestures for added emphasis) Would you feel able to convey this to him at your earliest opportunity." End rant! :foylekiss:

LOL! One of my all-time favorite scenes, not least because of the polite matter-of-factness of his delivery. And I have long been in love with his signature hand gesture; that rather sudden downward open-handed thing he does for emphasis! Like his unusual vocal inflections, it is unique.

Oh mine too Chris. :biggrin: His delivery is so pitch perfect and I just love his whole demeanor (he's so not in the mood to be messed about) and I think had Commander Halliday refused to see him, Foyle would have signalled to Brookie to crash through the road block and collect him on the other side :lol:
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
"MK...never less than a joy to watch." (Jaci Stephen)
TwiningsGirl64

Postby Samfan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:57 pm

I used the phrase "catch you up" today, which might be British. But not as in catching up with someone (like going after them as they are walking down the hallway). I used it in the context of filling in a person coming late into a meeting about what was going on before she arrived.

According to this link, I might have used the American version:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/english/catch-someone-up

:puzzled: Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:19 am

At the annual Teacher-Librarians conference today, one of the sessions was presented by a Ms. C. Fowler, so of course I immediately thought of the line from The Funk Hole, "...Not ...'Foyle'?" :biggrin:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby jewell » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Waiting in line at Chipotle practicing my upside down smile.

Not too successfully. :foyle4:

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby ayresorchids » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:14 pm

...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby starlight » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:42 am

Years after Foyle's sneer of disapproval in The German Woman ("The Mail… huh."), Wikipedia follows suit by banning The Mail for being an unreliable source :lol: :foyle4:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... or-website
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Previous

Return to General Discussion FW and WWII