Waterstones Buys Foyles

Waterstones Buys Foyles

Postby daniellesa » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:42 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45446899

I found this story today when I was checking the headlines. I know it is only relevant as namesake, but I thought it worth posting.

I think it is good that Waterstones is keeping Foyles safe from Amazons. I love going to Waterstones, I would spend all day there if I could. I went to Foyles once in London. It was okay, but I think I was not familiar enough with it to judge it properly, plus I accidentially wrecked what I purchased there with coffee, in the rush to catch my train back.

However, I do mourn the loss of another bookstore to the big group that is Waterstones. I prefer that fate rather than Amazon, though I cannot help but feel that Foyles might lose something which made them stand out from other bookstores. Some times Waterstones can be too mainstream, failing to retain the certain inexplicable quality books have, that make you lose yourself within their pages for hours on end. It would be nice if they keep it as a sort of partner, keep the name on the stores so the name and the association continues.

I hope this is of interest and not just me rambling on.
daniellesa

Re: Waterstones Buys Foyles

Postby Wolesley » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:27 am

It seems like good news for Foyles, as an alternative to being bought out by Amazon. At least it remains in British hands. :UKflag:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby BookwormKate » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:59 am

I used to work for Waterstones as a bookseller. There was a point that we all thought Waterstones wouldn’t last, so I’m glad to see that these two will still be carrying on. I second Lesley: at least Foyle’s will stay in British hands. :UKflag:
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby kitchentease » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:41 pm

With such a place in literary (and QE) fan history, I hope they'll keep the name too.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Return to General Conversation